Compromise Me: Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Josie did what she was told.  She stayed away from Tristan and Travis.  Skirting tables, hiding behind crowds, having a very long conversation with the Great-Granny Mae, who apparently spiked her own punch and told the raunchiest stories ever to come out of a ninety-three-year-old’s mouth.  It was a good thing there were a lot of guests at the wedding, or this would have been near impossible.  As it was, Josie was not without conversation or dance partners.  She kept a smile on her face, even as she felt Travis’ eyes on her while she stumbled through one of the many line dances with Sam’s brother David, who kept coming back to her for another spin around the floor.  And Josie allowed him three dances before demurring and gently complaining about how her shoes were beginning to hurt her feet.  David pouted, but then Natalie, one of the other bridesmaids, drifted across his view and he didn’t even excuse himself from Josie’s presence before pursuing his new target.

Tristan seemed to calm down, laughing, playing, dancing, stuffing his face with cake, and Josie smiled with broken tears, seeing him.  She did love that boy.  But today, she had to keep herself away from him.  She watched from a distance as Travis managed to keep his son occupied, though occasionally, she heard the word Shosie called out in Tristan’s voice.

Then her cell phone rang.  It was Hannah.  “Hey, what’s up?” Josie said, moving out of the reception hall and into the quiet peace of the the patio.  

Hannah’s voice broke.  “Josie...it’s Grandpa.  He suffered another heart attack.  It’s bad--”

Josie’s legs gave out, and she sat down hard on a stone bench.  “What?”

“We need you to come home,” Hannah said.  “I don’t know how long…”  A choked sob fell through the phone.  “I don’t know how long he’ll be with us.  I’m sorry, honey.  I know you’re at the wedding, but when can you get home?”

“I’ll be there tonight,” Josie said instantly.  “I just need to say my goodbyes and get some things packed, and then I’ll head home.  Tell Grandpa to wait for me, okay?”

“I will, honey,” Hannah said.  “Be careful.  Drive safe.  I love you.”

“I love you, too,” Josie said as the waterfall started up in her eyes.  “I’ll call you before I get on the road.  Tell Daddy I love him.”

“I will,” Hannah repeated, and the phone call ended.  Josie stared toward the western horizon, wishing she could fly straight through the space between here and there, and be at home with her family now.  Her body shook and she tried to stand.  The shoes tripped her, so she quickly kicked them off.  Livie came out of the nearby doors and saw her.

“Ah, crap,” Livie said.  “I know that look.  What’s wrong?”

“I have to go home,” Josie said.  “That was Hannah on the phone.  My grandfather…”

“Don’t say another word,” Livie said, coming over to help her steady herself.  “I’ll get my driver to take you back to your apartment.”

“No,” Josie said, shaking her head.  “I’ll need my car.  I have to drive to Conway tonight.”