Compromise Me: Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Josie was hiding in the house somewhere.  Livie had disappeared.  Hannah was nowhere in sight.  Every mild-tempered person Travis knew here had vanished, and he dropped onto the bench seat of a wooden picnic table, keeping his eyes peeled for a familiar face not ready to skin him alive.

The table rocked, and a young voice said, "Hi...I'm Bianca, named after the sweet sister."

Travis looked over and saw a pretty, young brunette with the Kirkland green eyes.  "Uh...hello," he said in return.

She propped an elbow on the table, leaning slightly closer as she smiled and asked, "What's your name?"

"It's, uh, Travis."

"That's a great name.  Who are you named after?"  She fanned her eyelashes at him.

"I have no idea," he said and glance toward the house.  Someone save me.

"Do you know," she breathed out in an obviously flirty voice, "that you are the only single man here I'm not related to?"

Travis whipped his head to stare at her.  Ah...shit.  This is not good.  "How old are you?" he asked hesitantly, dreading the answer.

"Eighteen," she said, smiling prettily.

Travis arched a doubtful eyebrow.  She sighed and kept smiling.  "Fine," she said.  "I'm seventeen and three-quarters, but where I live, I am already a woman.  I'm attending University in the fall."

"That's great," he said and moved to stand up.  "Excuse me."

Her hand shot out to his wrist and stopped him.  She smiled wider.  "Stay and talk to me, Travis.  I hate making scenes."

"Are you kidding me?" he asked her.  She winked at him.  Travis sighed and sat back down.  Bianca removed her hand.

Travis sensed a wave of déjà vu.  His head hurt, but unless he wanted to attract the attention of the Kirkland males again, he kept one eye on Bianca and another on a safe rescue.  The girl started chatting non-stop, and he settled in to bear it.  A few minutes later, another girl showed up, but this one had some sense and maturity in her eyes, and she looked down at Bianca with disapproval.

"Bi...I think Mom is looking for you."

"Tell her I'm right here," Bianca said and turned her smile on Travis again.  

Then the second girl sat between them.  "Bi...who's your friend?"

"Go away, Jules," Bianca said.

"I'm Travis," he told her, thinking, Get her away from me.

"Nice to meet you, Travis," the older girl said suspiciously.  "I've never seen you at Grandma's before.  Who are you here with?"

"I'm a friend of Josie's," he said.

"Oh," she replied and turned back to Bianca.  "He's here with Josie..."

He almost debated that, since technically he was here with Livie, but instead, he decided to keep his mouth shut.  Let Bianca think he was with Josie.

"...so let's go see what the twins are up to," his savior implored, but Bianca said, "I don't see a wedding ring, and all we're doing is talking.  Go away, Jules, before I tell Daddy the real reason you missed curfew last week."

Jules huffed and stood up...and then she left.  Travis opened his mouth to call her back, please come back, but Bianca moved closer to him and boldly put her hand on his leg.  He jumped, hitting his knees on the underside of the table, and she smiled, yanking him back down.