Compromise Me: Chapter 11

Chapter 11

The pants were a little snug, but they covered all the right parts.  Travis towel-dried his hair and padded barefoot to her kitchen.  “I don’t suppose you have a t-shirt from your frumpy stage, do you?”

She straightened from bending over the stove as she slid a frozen pizza onto the rack, and she licked her lips as her gaze landed on his chest.  “That one’s new,” she said, pointing to the tattoo over his left pectoral.  It was a copy of his son’s baby footprint.  Hurt like hell.

“That’s for Tristan,” he said, tracing the tiny lines with a fingertip.  “Got it right after he was born.”

She smiled softly.  “He’s a cute kid.”

“Yes, he is,” Travis agreed.  “Smart as a whip, and likes red stickers.  Been collecting the darn things for months now.  I’m having trouble finding some he doesn’t already have.”

“But you keep looking, don’t you?”

He gazed into her eyes, seeing the sweetness inside her.  It had always been there, that sweetness, but somewhere along the way, the child inside her moved aside, and now he could see that refined grace shining out from a woman’s eyes.  Being friends with a woman like her…?  Dangerous and tempting.  

“Yes, I do,” he said, and she nodded, sliding past him...her motions mindful of not touching him at all.

“I’m sure I have a shirt you can wear,” she said.  When she came back, she handed him a plain white shirt and he pulled over his head.

“So, did Arielle and them get to St. Louis okay?” she asked, sitting down at her kitchen table.

“You know about that?”

“Sure.  She calls me almost every night.”

Travis nodded and sat across from her.  “I'm not surprised.  Arielle tends to latch onto people like velcro.”

Josie laughed.  “Yeah, I’m expecting my half of a best-friend charm any day now.  You know she asked me to be a bridesmaid the other night.”

He blinked.  “She did?  You barely know each other."

“She said Sam keeps adding groomsmen and she’s running out of bridesmaids.  I'm her only hope.”

"She badgered you until you caved, didn't she?"

Josie laughed.  "She played me like a cheap violin.  I'm getting fitted for my dress next weekend.”

“Who is she pairing you with?  Not David, I hope.”

“David?” she said, frowning.  “She mentioned him.  Sam’s younger brother?”

“Yeah,” Travis said.  “A real mess, that one.  Just got out of jail for contributing to a minor and trying to pick up a decoy prostitute at a casino last year.”