Nightmares

Sam Wilson is the worst partner to exist. At least that's what was running through Bucky's head as he sat on one of the beds in medbay. A nurse finished patching him up after his most recent mission. Sam was somewhere downstairs, probably getting a drink, completely unscathed. The ungrateful shit hadn't even checked in on him, not that he expected him to.

Bucky's new scars were nothing compared to what he already gained in Siberia, but they could have been avoided if Sam hadn't gone off script. He stood, pulling his sleeve over his normal arm, and stalking out of the room. He hated hospitals. Ever since Germany, and the testing. Bucky slipped into his room and flopped onto the bed. He pulled off his boots and put them on the floor, as neat and orderly as the rest of his room. Old habits die hard. Suddenly exhausted he took off his metal arm and put it on the nightstand, then pulled a blanket over himself, truly hoping the drugs would give him one good night's sleep.

"I'm with you till the end of the line." Bucky jolted up drenched in sweat. Gasping he rolled over to check the time on his phone. 4:00 AM, fuck. He couldn't even make it three and a half hours without a nightmare. He slid off his bed and onto the floor, letting the cool tile numb his toes. He hated Steve for those words, his words. Lies. Bucky was used to lies but not from Steve.

A sharp knock came from the door. He leaned his head back onto the bed and waited for whoever it was to go away. The knock came again, loud and insistent. Bucky rolled his eyes. He knew that knock. "Go away Sam." He mumbled, but got up anyway and started putting on his shoes. Sam never went away. He grabbed his arm off the nightstand and put in place, just as the door swung open and Sam bounded in, already suited up.

"What the hell Sam?" Bucky asked angrily, pushing him aside and walking into the hall. "We have a mission, but you can go back to bed if you don't want to do your fucking job." Sam said. Bucky sighed, but followed Sam down the hall and into the garage. They climbed into a black SUV and pulled onto the road.

"What's the mission?" Bucky asked from the passenger seat. Sam reached out and tapped a screen on the dashboard, which caused a hologram of a tall man with dark hair and about 50 tattoos to appear in front of them. "Vojislav Mihajlo. He's a hitman from Serbia that we managed to piss off, lucky us." Sam said. "Now we get to deal with it, fun." Bucky muttered, rolling his eyes. Sam continued, "He's been targeting government officials since his wife Dunja was killed in a bombing, and we're supposed to bring him back for questioning." Bucky nodded and eyed the road. "Where is this guy?" he asked. "He just popped up in D.C. so we're headed there." Sam explained, and waved his hand over the screen causing the hologram to disappear. Bucky leaned back in his seat still tired from the day before.

"I'm with you till the end of the line." "Bucky!" Bucky sprung forward, as the car jerked to the side of the road. "Bucky, are you okay man?" Sam was leaning over him looking worried. "I'm fine." Bucky said. Sam looked unconvinced but sat back down and started driving again.

After sitting in silence for a while he said quietly "It was about Steve right?" Bucky looked up suddenly, surprised. "What?" "The dream" Sam explained "It was about Steve." Bucky nodded hesitantly. "I have them too." Sam said. "Since he left." Bucky looked down. "He said he'd be with me till the end of the line." he whispered, his voice cracking. "But he chose her." Sam stopped the car again, and tilted Bucky's chin up to look at him. Suddenly Bucky closed the distance between them and kissed Sam firmly. Sam leaned into the kiss and Bucky felt him climb over the console and onto his lap. And for the first time in a long time Bucky wasn't thinking about Steve.