Daisies

Sam turned the corner and almost dropped the stack of papers he was carrying. Lying on the lawn under a tree was one seemingly unconscious Bucky Barnes. The wind blew through his hair, rippling the dark brown locks. Sam set down the papers and glared at them "stay." he whispered to them, then crept slowly towards Bucky. He quietly sat down behind him and gently brushed some strands off his face.

Without realizing he was doing it Sam started picking daisies that had popped up all over the yard in recent days. He began braiding them into Bucky's hair, as his sister had made him do with her dolls when they were little. Pretty soon there was a braided crown of daisies around Bucky's head. Sam leaned back against the trunk of the tree and admired his handiwork. At this point Sam's legs were on either side of bucky, and his hands danced through his hair, undoing tangles and brushing it out with his fingers.

After a while Sam saw Bucky's eyes flutter open and whispered "good morning sunshine." He watched as Bucky realized where he was and who was behind him. "Sam?" Bucky questioned, and spun around. Now he was practically straddling Sam who looked quite pleased with the turn of events. "Hello to you too." he murmured.

Bucky crawled back a bit and gave Sam a puzzled look. "What are you doing?" he asked, sceptical of Sam's motives. "Helping you accessorize." Sam said, a little distracted by the way Bucky's biceps looked. Bucky paused for a moment, more confused now. Then he checked his watch and cursed under his breath. "Language." Sam muttered out of habit. Bucky shot him a quick glare, then got up and briskly walked inside. Sam stared after him. "Screw Steve." He said quietly "That is America's ass."

Bucky got weird looks from everyone he passed. Finally he pushed the door to the bathroom open, and looked at himself in the mirror. Accessorizing? That son of a bitch. Bucky thought he should be going out to yell at Sam, or at the very least yanking the stupid flowers out of his hair, but something kept him there. In front of the mirror just looking at what Sam had done. He gently brushed his fingers over the braid.

Shit.

Sam walked into his room, tired but happy. Suddenly he saw something out of the corner of his eye. He turned around and saw a small vase on the windowsill full of daisies. A small sound startled him and he whipped around. Bucky was leaning against the door frame, the crown of flowers still on his head. A small smile upturned the corners of his mouth. "Can I come in?"