The Pier

Alex's POV

I melted to his touch. Luke pulled me into a hug and hesitated at first, but I hugged back. He was my best friend after all.

"Why don't we go do something fun?" Luke questioned, pleading with puppy dog eyes.

How could I say no to that face?

"Beach?"

I nodded in agreement.

Luke reached back to my hand and pulled me out of the studio. It wasn't a very long walk to the pier, just 15 minutes.

We started in a comfortable silence until Luke spoke up, "Thank you."

Thank you? "Thank me for what?" I responded.

"For helping me."

How did I help him? If anything he helped to calm me down. I really did nothing for him.

He sensed the confusion on my face. "It may not seem like it but you did. I ran away from home" He started, took a deep breath, and continued, "My mom got upset and claimed that I spend too much time with the band. She says that music isn't going to take me anywhere. She just doesn't get it. I care about the music, I care about the guys, I care about --" He stopped.

"I wish she understood," he finished as we arrived at the pier.

It looked beautiful, decorated for the holiday season. Being around 9 pm, not many people were around, it was peaceful.

I looked over at Luke, a smile on his face as he looked at the ocean from the pier. A smile couldn't help but spread to my face in response.

"Let's go!" He screamed, pulling me onto the sand towards the ocean. I now realized that he never let go of my hand in the first place.

"What?" I exclaimed, "In the water?"

A devilish smirk traveled across his face. He continued pulling me towards the water and I pulled back when our feet touched the wet sand. A frown grew on his face.

"C'mon Luke! It's freezing! The sun is already set...It's going to be so cold!"

His smirk grew. Oh no. He let go of my hand and the sense of warmth was gone. I didn't have too long to think about it before one arm was behind my back, the other under my legs. Before I knew it, I was being thrown in the water, Luke standing, completely dry above the knee on the shore. I immediately jumped out of the water, running full speed barreling towards him. I shoved into him and we both landed on the sand, laughing, me on top of him. I quickly rolled over to his side, now both facing the stars above.

"What was that for?" He questioned.

"What was that for? For getting me wet!"

We sat like this for a while. It felt comfortable, yet my heart was racing and I don't know why. Luke seemed to be asleep now, so I was left to myself and my spiraling thoughts. I grabbed for my rings. I started to twist the metal one on my index finger. I felt a hand reach over and take the ring off my finger.

"What?" I questioned.

He kept playing with it.

I looked over at Luke, "You don't even like rings."

"Well, I like this one" He responded placing it on his index finger, twisting it just like I did, "You got it at the pier right? Maybe I should start wearing rings."

"Keep it," I responded.

He looked at me and smiled. "Are you sure?"

"Positive, it looks better on you anyway"

Hey guyssssss im trying haha im trying. hope you enjoy!