(3)

"Mother knows best, listen to your mother

It's a scary world out there.

Mother knows best, one way or another,

something will go wrong, I swear!

Ruffians, thugs, poison ivy, quicksand,

cannibals and snakes, the plague."

"No!" Rapunzel gasped.

"Yes." Her mother said quite morbidly.

"But-"

"Also large bugs, men with pointy teeth

and stop! No more, you'll just upset me!

Mother's right here, mother will protect you." She pulled Rapunzel off the ground.

"Darling, here's what I suggest...

skip the drama,

stay with Mama.

Mother knows best!" She cackled.

"Mother knows best,

take it from your mumsy.

On your own, you won't survive." She placed Rapunzel in front of the mirror and angled it so she could see everything, from her bare feet to casual dress.

"Sloppy, underdressed,

immature, clumsy.

Please, they'll eat you up alive!

Gullible, naive, positively grubby,

ditzy and a bit well, vague.

Plus, I believe,

getting kind of chubby-

I'm just saying, 'cause I love you!

Mother understands,

Mother's here to help you,

all I have is one request..." Rapunzel ran to Gothel, who appeared out of thin air, and hugged her tightly.

"Rapunzel."

"Yes?" The blonde looked up innocently.

"Don't ever ask to leave this tower again."

Your sister looked down, ashamed. "Yes, Mother."

"Oh, I love you very much, dear."

"I love you more."

"I love you most." Gothel kissed the top of Rapunzel's head, another form of affection you never received.

"Don't forget it,

you'll regret it.

Mother

knows

best." She ran her hands through Rapunzel's hair and grabbed her cloak. Approaching the window, she called you over.

"Yes, Mother?" You asked.

Her voice lowered to a whisper. "I need you to stand guard over your sister. I don't trust her to stay here, safe from the outside. Can you follow my directions?"

"Of course, Mother. Say no more." You narrowed your eyes at her, though she didn't notice. I'm not a babysitter. Or a guard. Or a servant.

"Thank you, Y/n. I will return shortly." Gothel hooked the blonde hair over the hook and slid down, addressing Rapunzel. "Ta-ta! I'll see you in a bit, my flower!"

The younger girl watched her leave. "We'll be here." She looked out at the landscape longingly. You approached her and sat on the windowsill next to her.

"Hey, it'll be alright. You're not alone." You consoled her, rubbing her back.

"I- I know," she started, "but I can't help but be jealous. Why does Mother let you come with her everywhere, but not me?" She sat up to look at you.

"Because I am valueless, Rap. I have nothing to offer to the world." You were being truthful. You didn't have magic hair, or powers, or really any talents at all. You were just you.

"You have more to offer than me!"

"That's untrue and you know it," you told her. "What could I possibly have?"

"A social life," she said, "and a better nose."

You snorted. "You're jealous because you like my nose?"

"I'm jealous because you have a sword and know how to use a crossbow and hunt and get to see the markets and go places without Mother, or at all, really."

"Fair point. But Mom's just trying to protect you! I've been outside, and you are still the only girl with glowing hair I've seen."

Rapunzel blew you off and picked at the skin around her nails.

"But I guess you're too busy being jealous to see what I brought you from the town, so I'm just going to-"

Her head shot up. "I'm not, honestly! Show me! Show me!"

"Okay, okay, calm down." You reached into the bag tied at your waist and pulled out your gift. "Happy early birthday." You placed the gift- a new set of paintbrushes, handmade with rabbit hair and purchased from a merchant in the town square- into the eager hands of your little sister.

"Woah! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm going to use these right now!"

"Sounds cool. Enjoy yourself, Rap."

She climbed the staircase up to her bedroom and you pulled out a book. "I will!"

[flynn rider]

The Stabbington brothers rushed by a large tree in the forest, decorated with flyers of the criminals' faces. Flynn leaned against the tree to catch his breath. Panting, his eyes finally caught onto the flyers and he gasped, tearing his off the tree.

"Oh, no. No, no, no, no, no. This is bad. This is very, very bad. This is really bad!" The twins looked at him, confused.

Flynn turned the paper to compare to his own face. "They just can't get my nose right!"

The readheads were unamused. "Who cares?"

"Well, it's easy for you to say. You guys look amazing." He bent over to look at the parchment nailed to the tree. A rumble of hooves was heard, and Flynn turned to see the guardsman above them. The three quickly set off running, dashing around corners, jumping over roots, and ducking under branches, when the twins came to halt, the brunette came shortly thereafter.

They were surrounded by cliffs, cornered.

The shorter man explained his idea. "Alright. Okay. Give me a boost and I'll pull you up."

The twins exchanged a glance. "Give us the satchel first."

"Wha? I just... I can't believe that after all we've been through together, you don't trust me?" Flynn asked. The Stabbingtons held straight faces. "Ouch." He handed the satchel over and they began to climb.

He grasped at the hard rock and stepped from one twin to the next. Pushing off of the pair, Flynn made it to the top safely.

"Now help us up, pretty boy." The man extended his hand, but the brunette declined, opting to show off the bag he held instead.

"Sorry, my hands are full." He smirked.