(13)

You were pulled to separate sides of the circle, twisting between people and doing all the moves, but every time you tried to dance together, someone happened to sweep by just in time, pulling you apart.

Your dark books grazed the stones of the town square, following the patterns on the floor. While most of the floor was brown, several lighter stones were used to make that same sun insignia you had seen earlier. It reminded you of a couple of hours ago, when Rapunzel had used some chalk in the children's area to draw a huge mural. Surrounded by the kids' crude drawings, it was a masterpiece several feet wide. A lemon yellow sun in the center, just like the insignia that was decorating the town, surrounded by beautiful images of couples and families drawn in purple. From there, purple tendrils, flowers, and paisleys finished the edges.

You were drawn back to the moment as the dance kept getting more and more intense. While you were no dancer, the countless hours spent practicing combat meant you were fast on your feet, so staying in time was no trouble for you. People gathered around the edge smiling and clapping along to the music that was slowly increasing in speed. Right as the music was reaching its climax, you became fully absorbed in the moment, closing your eyes and trusting your feet as you spun right into someone's arms. At the last stroke of music, you opened your eyes, chest heaving.

Eugene was staring right back at you.

People were clapping all around, whooping with glee, but that was all a dull hum. You could only focus on Eugene's light brown eyes, which were flicking all over your face, from your lips, to your eyes, and back again.

People began to flood the square now that the dance was over, and Eugene's hand slipped from yours as you both slowly came down from the adrenaline rush.

"To the boats!" A man called out.

Eugene led the three of you to a small dock where multiple wooden boats were rocking gently in the water. He hopped in first before helping you in, then the both of you turned to Rapunzel, who was shifting her weight nervously. She took your hand, and touched the boat with her foot before backing out.

"What's wrong?" You asked, worried.

She sighed. "Grass was one thing, but a moving boat? I don't know how many new things I can handle all at once." You looked at Eugene for help.

"Blondie, what are you saying? This is your dream, it's the whole reason you left your tower in the first place."

"I just think it would be better if I stayed here, on solid ground," she said. "And you can go see the lanterns close up, just the two of you."

You stepped back onto the dock and held her hands in yours. "I'm not doing this without you. We came all this way- I want you to experience this."

She chuckled softly. "I will experience it. Just not in a rickety piece of wood that might topple over at any minute."

"I need you to be sure," You said, looking at your younger sister.

"I am. Trust me."

In that moment, she had never looked more grown. Rapunzel had gone from some little girl tripping over her own hair to a wonderful young woman. She was smart, kind, and a sort of selfless you had never seen before. You were so proud of her. For being brave, being sharp, being empathetic. Somehow, you had shown her how to be an incredible person without ever taking her outside.

You hugged her tight, squeezing her just a little. "If you need anything, I mean anything, Maximus will be with you. And my knives. Those help too." She laughed as you kissed her forehead and took Eugene's hand. He helped you back in the boat, steadying you by your waist. You sat down, and he pushed the boat from the dock, calmly drifting farther out.