It Was a Day Like Any Other

I can still remember the moment we kissed that night.

We stood alone behind the corner of the school building as everyone else was celebrating the last cultural festival of our lives. It had been a long, painful day, and I knew we were both tired after all that had happened. First of all, because we'd spent the whole afternoon walking around without any time to rest. And second, because I'd just made Yukinoshita cry.

But I couldn't think about any of that.

It didn't yet register in my mind what I'd just made happen. It didn't yet occur to me how I'd just ruined the life of someone who once thought of me as a close friend. And, even now, I still didn't want to think about whether Yukinoshita, or Yuigahama, or anyone else involved could ever forgive me again. All that took hold of my mind in that moment was how sweet she really smelled from up close, how smooth her golden hair was as silky little strands brushed against my hands behind her back, and how perfectly soft her lips felt as they pressed up and locked themselves against mine. I still remember the warmth of her tiny pale hands wrapped around my face, tugging me, pulling me towards her, making sure I wouldn't let go, as if she were afraid that was the last night we had to ever see each other again.

That night, when Yumiko Miura was in my arms, was a night I would remember for the rest of my life. Our first, and last, kiss, on the night that would change everything. When nothing and none of us would ever be the same.

Because that was the night when I would lose her.

That was the night when I would throw it all away.

Hikigaya Hachiman doesn't believe in romance.

It was a sham, a lie built upon the idea that someone you liked might have any reason to like you back. Because that doesn't happen in real life. You don't get to choose whether someone will like you or not. You might think the two of you would make the perfect fit, and you might be as good of a friend as they could ask for, but there is nothing to imply they will, or that they even should, see you the same way.

I say this because I've liked Yukinoshita for a while now, and I knew she didn't like me back.

That year was the last year I would be at Sobu High, and the last year I would spend with Yukinoshita and Yuigahama in the Service Club. It was a strange thought. At the end of that year, we wouldn't be spending our afternoons together in that clubroom anymore, drinking tea and reading books and talking about whatever random thing that came to Yuigahama's mind. That routine would be no more. Where would we be after that? What would we be doing? Would we still keep in touch? Should we still keep in touch? These were the questions I found myself asking at the beginning of that year, when I started thinking about my relationship to the Service Club, and my friendship with the other members as a whole.

I pushed those thoughts aside when I arrived at our clubroom after school that day. I quietly slid the door open and walked in to see the familiar sight of Yuigahama fawning over Yukinoshita as she desperately tried to push her off and reclaim her personal space.