My Enemy, the Planning Committee

Unfortunately enough, against whatever fibres of logic I still had left in my body, I arrived at the library the next day to meet Miura after school. It was just going to be a quick chat, I thought. Nothing major. Just something to settle the fact that Miura had not actually seen Hayama and Yukinoshita together and they weren't actually dating and I could go back to reading my trashy light novels in my clubroom in peace. I sat down at the secluded corner of the library we'd agreed to meet at beforehand and waited for Miura to arrive. She was late. I thought she might've at least bothered to show up on time, given how she was the one who invited me there, but she turned out to be even more useless than I thought. When she finally did arrive she looked like she was scowling, as if she were unhappy about something, but I honestly couldn't tell if it was that much different from what she tended to look like most days regardless.

"You're late, Miura."

"I don't want to hear you lecturing me, Hikigaya-brain."

"Don't casually slander my name like that! Hikigaya isn't an insult!"

"Whatever. Some idiots from the Planning Committee suddenly roped me into having to do some work for them. At first I was, like, no way, right? But then I saw Hayato was with them, and he was asking me as well, so how could I say no? Not to mention that wench Yukinoshita was there too..."

"Wait. Hayama and Yukinoshita are on the same committee together...?"

"Yeah, duh. You would've known if you weren't asleep in class the day the voting was drawn. They're totally staying behind after the meetings to spend some one-on-one time with each other. I'm sure of it!"

"Miura, that doesn't make any sense. There's loads of people on the Planning Committee. What does the two of them being a part of it at the same time have to do with anything?"

"Because that's what I overheard the other third-years in the toilet saying, okay?! They said they were meeting up before the meetings, after the meetings, how Hayato treats her better than anyone else on the committee... all totally signs that they're dating!"

"And that's why you're convinced you need to stalk them now...?"

"Of course! Like, don't you see?! Think of all the opportunities they have now to spend time in the meeting room together! They could be holding hands under the table! They could be kissing each other when no one else is looking! And... and... when they finally get the room all to themselves, they might even have... s... s... s-s-s-s-se..."

"I hope you're aware you sound like a total virgin right now."

"Shut up! You're a virgin too, you know! I don't want to hear that from you, you... loner super virgin!"

"Look Miura, don't be ridiculous. Assuming you're right, there are all sorts of explanations for those rumours. They could be meeting up to discuss things related to the cultural festival that they didn't have the time for otherwise. And of course they'd treat each other well. Yukinoshita was one of the biggest contributors to the success of last year's cultural festival. Anyone would go out of their way to treat her with respect."

"But... but... doesn't it still seem strange to you? Don't you want to know, just to find out if they really are dating or not?!"

"Well, I..."

The truth was that it did bother me, even if just a little. I wouldn't be secretly meeting Miura after school in the library like that if it didn't. I wanted to find out for certain, because if they weren't dating, then I could drop the issue and life would go back to normal. But if they were...

"I... forget it," I said. "That doesn't matter. I don't care if they're dating or not. I just want to prove you wrong so we can get this stupid mess all over with. Besides, you called me out here, but we're going to get nowhere talking like this. If what you say is true, then what's the plan? How are we going to confirm for ourselves?"