Naming Your Characters

Naming your characters, especially your main character(s) is one of the most important part of writing your novel. It's most likely the first thing you'll do in terms of your novel, so it sets the tone for the rest of your book. It gives your character an identity. You'll be using it the entire novel so pick one that you like because switching your MC's name in the middle of publishing your novel is confusing and unprofessional.

How to name your character:

1) Random name: Pick a random name that you like.

2) Significance: Pick a name that has some significance to you. It's your story that you're telling, so making a name have some significance to you and your life can be pretty cool. Just don't make your entire character like you, and you're fine.

3) Meaningful: This is the one I do most often. If your character is angelic, look up names meaning angel/angelic. If your character is strong, look up names meaning strong/powerful. You get my drift. For my story Part of Me, I named one of the main characters Devyn because that name means poet, which is meaningful toward her character and her character arc.

_________________________

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO OFFEND ANYONE OR SINGLE AN AUTHOR OUT. THIS BOOK IS MEANT TO BE HELPFUL AND I AM REALLY SORRY IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY IT. I AM NOT AN ENGLISH TEACHER, I JUST HAVE HAD REALLY GOOD ONES IN THE PAST WHO HAVE TAUGHT ME THESE THINGS. IF YOU SEE ANYTHING WRONG, PLEASE POINT IT OUT AND I WILL DO SOME RESEARCH ON IT/CORRECT IT IF NEED BE.