Rough Drafts Suck

Rough drafts suck and that's just a fact of life. The way I think of a rough draft is kind of just word-vomit. Gross, I know, but so is a rough draft. A rough draft is mainly to get your ideas out on paper so that you can refine them later. Getting to a final draft takes a lot of time and effort, but so does getting through a rough draft. 

You face so many obstacles when writing:

1) Writer's Block. Every writer's worst enemy. 
Some advice: It's frustrating, it's annoying, it's I-want-to-rip-my-hair-out irritating, I know. I've been there. So has every other author on the face of the planet. KEEP WRITING. It doesn't have to be the story you're on, but keep writing something. Actually, taking a break can really help when you're struggling with your current novel or work of literature. Taking a step back can also help. Take a breath, take a step back, and reread your work. Often times the writing will go where it wants to go. It's the human inside of us that causes the writer's block. Reread what you've written so far and write the first thing that comes to mind after. It doesn't have to be good, it doesn't have to be perfect, it doesn't even have to be permanent, but write something. 

2) Critics. There's a difference between helpful critiques and just plain old haters. Helpful critiques help you and the story improve. Haters offer no real feedback whatsoever.
Some advice: Believe in yourself and your work. If you don't, they win. It sounds intense, I know, but haters/critics are often jealous that you can write in a way that they can't. Think about it this way: they have way too much time on their hands if they take time to rudely comment on your story. Believe in yourself and your work, and ignore them. 

3) Doubts. Possibly stemming from critics, doubts in yourself and/or your work is one of the biggest roadblocks every author faces.
Some advice: Remember that this is normal. It is completely natural to have doubts. Every author, even published ones, has doubts. Writing can, and often is, a really embarrassing thing to do. Don't take that to mean that writing is lame or anything like that, but writing a story or poem is like putting a piece of you down on paper for people to read, review, critique, hate on, etc. Doubts are normal and can be helpful if you let them be. Let them drive you to produce your best work. Reread, reread, and reread. Fix what you have doubts on. Nothing in your story has to be permanent. If you fix something you had doubts about, only to find that you still don't like it, rewrite it until you do!

4) Editing. Let's be honest, folks. Editing SUCKS. Almost as much as writing rough drafts. It's a vicious cycle of rereading, fixing, rereading what you fixed, deciding whether you like it or not. 
Some advice: I know it sucks, but it's necessary, so take it seriously. That's it. That's all I've got for you, so if any of you know how to make editing less excruciating, please share.

My point is: the writing process sucks, but it's worth it. 

_________________________

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO OFFEND ANYONE OR SINGLE AN AUTHOR OUT. THIS BOOK IS MEANT TO BE HELPFUL AND I AM REALLY SORRY IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY IT. I AM NOT AN ENGLISH TEACHER, I JUST HAVE HAD REALLY GOOD ONES IN THE PAST WHO HAVE TAUGHT ME THESE THINGS. IF YOU SEE ANYTHING WRONG, PLEASE POINT IT OUT AND I WILL DO SOME RESEARCH ON IT/CORRECT IT IF NEED BE.