The Overlord

[Nazarick, Momonga POV]

A gigantic table carved of gleaming black stone sat in the center of the room, surrounded by forty-one luxurious chairs. However, most of those seats were empty. Once, every single place had been filled, now only one was occupied.

The seated being was clothed in a magnificent black academic robe, edged in violet and gold. The collar seemed excessively gaudy, but somehow it fit the overall design.

However, the exposed head was a bare skull. Points of dark red light glowed in its large eye sockets, and behind that skull glowed a halo of black radiance.

The skeleton is an Overlord — the highest-ranked of those magic casters who had become undead to learn the most potent spells.

One might encounter the skeleton monsters in the most difficult dungeons. Overlords could use powerful spells of the highest tiers of magic, however, he is not a game monster, but instead a player himself.

In YGGDRASIL, players could choose their character races from three broad groups; humanoid, demihuman, and heteromorphic.

Humanoids were the basic player type and comprised humans, dwarves, wood elves, and the like. Demihumans tended to be ugly but possessed superior attributes to humanoids. Examples of demihumans were goblins, beastmen, ogres, and so on. Finally, heteromorphic races had monstrous abilities, but despite their stats being generally higher than those of other races, they also possessed various drawbacks. There were around seven hundred playable races in total, including the advanced versions of these races.

"No one came..." Momonga sighed in sadness as he dully stared at the empty chairs. "Haah!" He let out another sigh. "—Are you kidding me!?" He pounded the table as he shouted in anger.

"This is the Great Tomb of Nazarick that we built together! How could you all abandon it just like that!?" After he shouted the words in his heart, he felt empty and disappointed.

"...No, that's not right. They didn't abandon it lightly... they simply chose between reality and fantasy. It couldn't be helped. Nobody would betray the guild. Everyone who made that decision must have found it painful..."

Momonga muttered as if he is trying to convince himself, and then he stood up. He walked toward the wall, where an elaborately decorated magic staff was kept.

Seven serpents twined around the body of the staff, which resembled the kerykeion carried by Hermes Trismegistus. The serpents' mouths gaped open in agony, and each mouth held a gem of a different color. The grip was exquisitely carved out of crystal and glowed with blue light.

This beautiful staff is an honor and the symbol of his guild, this staff typically kept hidden away in safe places and not used for their tremendous powers because a guild would be disbanded if its associated guild weapon was destroyed, but throughout the years Yggdrasil popularity has been diminished drastically because of its difficulty.

These days literally no one even played this game, so there is no need to hide the weapon. Years ago he took it out from the treasury and kept it in the meeting room as a decoration.

He opened his game window and saw that he have two hours to kill some time before Yggdrasil shut down, he grabbed the staff tightly in his hand and then teleported directly to the starter town of Midgard.

He quietly walked through the beautiful town and made his way to the infamous cliff known as Dread One's Cliff to meet someone, if his luck doesn't betray him then he will able to meet him, he knew that man will be Yggdrasil.

After about 15 minutes of leisure walking, Momonga finally made it to the top of the cliff and was instantly gobsmacked when he saw a certain someone sitting on a boulder at the very end of the cliff, he couldn't believe his eyes. The person who he wanted to meet so badly is right before his eyes.