Silver

It was nearly closing time by the time she finished her classes, grabbed something to eat, and rode the short distance to the animal hospital. Doc Brown was speaking to one of his staff, but he excused himself as soon as Aiyana stepped through the door and indicated she should follow him into the back.

"How is he?"

Doc shook his head. "I've got him on some strong antibiotics but," he waited until they'd entered the room where Nate lay with his mother watching over him, "his body just isn't used to fighting infections like a normal human. The were-gland not only enables rapid healing, it promotes a rapid immune response. Normally bacteria don't have a chance."

Nate was so still she couldn't even tell he was breathing as the IV slowly dripped into his arm. It always saddened her when she saw normally lively animals feeling unwell, but Nate was more than an animal. She put her hand over his front paw.

"I've been reading up on glands, but there's something I don't understand, Doc. Glands like the thyroid are regulated by a feedback loop that shuts it off when thyroid hormones are high. Why, then, do we need to phase once a month so that we don't phase on accident? Is the were-gland not controlled the same way?"

"No. It continuously makes and stores the hormones so it needs to get rid of the extra occasionally."

"What happens when we're injured or need to fight an infection? How does the gland know to release the hormone? How does it know to release it when we phase?"

He rubbed his whiskered chin. "For injury, probably much the same way your immune system knows to respond. For phasing, there must me some mental signal."

"So if you stabbed me and then took some of my serum, it should contain the hormones that will help Nate heal?"

He studied her over his glasses. "You want me to stab you?"

"Not really, but I was thinking that if he could just get a shot of those hormones, maybe he wouldn't need a transplant. Maybe everything would heal without one, including his gland."

"Unfortunately, I don't think anyone knows what all the hormones are yet, nor what concentrations to use."

"I guess you'll have to stab me then."

"I think I would be a better choice since I am his mother," Luna Salma interjected.

"I think I need to call your expert and do some blood tests before we start stabbing people," Doc said. "The idea has merit though. Aiyana, can you keep an eye on Nate while I take Luna Salma out for a bite to eat?"

"Sure. Where is Alpha Edward? Will he be by later?"

"No, he had some pack issues to deal with at home," Nate's mother replied. "Liam is still here though. He hasn't given up hope on finding Jeremy."

"Have they found anything at all?"