Truce

She never thought she'd be sneaking not one, but two boys into her dorm room, but here she was. Cliff hadn't said much since they'd left the farm. He was subdued, which was a state she couldn't remember ever seeing him in. Did he truly still feel a bond to her? Whatever she'd felt so strongly three years ago was now a faint memory, especially compared to what she felt when she looked at Nate. It was as if a whole world of possibilities was opening up with him at the center.

"I have an extra mattress and an extra box spring," she said as she unlocked her door. "Nate, I think you should take the mattress. Cliff can phase if he's uncomfortable."

"Don't you still need to phase?" Cliff asked as he followed her into her room and tossed the sleeping bag he'd pulled from the back of his car on her sloppily made bed. "Hey, do you remember when we were pups, how you used to cuddle next to me at nap time?"

"I remember you cuddling next to me even though it was about a hundred degrees outside." She sniffed the air. Her room smelled okay, even though it was a mess.  Good thing she'd done her laundry. 

"You should phase," Cliff urged again. "We could explore campus. You could show me around. I've never been here before."

"Right. Two wolves roaming around. Nobody will notice that at all." She started pushing her desk against the wall so there'd be enough room for both boys to sleep on the floor. Nate dropped the sleeping bag he'd borrowed from Alpha Miguel on the floor and rushed to help her.

"I can do it Nate. You should rest a few more days."

He made a face. "You sound like my mother."

"No, I sound like your doctor which I might be someday."

He scrunched his nose. "Hmm, my wife as my doctor. That sounds both intriguing and dangerous."

"Your wife?" Cliff said at the same time Aiyana said, "Dangerous?"

"Yes dangerous," Nate said, ignoring Cliff. "I wouldn't be able to get away with anything. You'd probably make me eat healthy and give up smoking and drinking."

"You smoke?" she asked.

"No, but if I ever did..."

She lightly punched his arm. "If I were your wife, I'd get on your case for smoking whether I was your doctor or not."

He reached out to touch her cheek. The look on his face made her insides feel like they were melting. "How about if I promise never to smoke. Will you be my wife?"

She was sure he said it in jest, but he looked serious. What would he do if she said yes?

A loud "No, she will not!" pulled her out of her thoughts. Cliff pushed Nate out of the way and started forcefully scooting the desk across the floor. The feet squealed against the tiles* in protest. "That's the lousiest deal I've ever heard."

Her eyes found Nate's. They were in agreement. Irritating Cliff was fun. "He's right." She pretended to think for a moment, "but perhaps we can come to some arrangement."

Cliff abruptly turned toward Nate and snarled.

Her own wolf, who had been steadily ignoring Cliff all evening, leaped up inside her, ready to defend the still recovering Nate. "No Cliff. Don't touch him. If you touch him I will never speak to you again." Her wolf was so mad she could feel the anger emanating from within. Cliff jerked as if someone had lassoed him and pulled the rope tight. He spun around and dropped to his hands and knees and whined with his head down even though he was still in human form. His human sign of submission was akin to a wolf lying on his back and showing his belly.  Her wolf preened. Her human side was disturbed.