#21 I'm Used To It

No one answered her question for a minute before someone decided to finally step up to the plate.

"I um.. I heard Escanor got suspended for a few days for cheating during the fight. Not that he would've showed anyway, but I think this is the first time he's gotten punished for the stupid shit he does."

Relieved that Ban started a conversation, she hoped the ball would continue to take off as she shot King a glare for muttering about "Ban's foul language" the two hadn't gotten along since they had a fight over how King had been treating Mel at the time.

It seemed like Ban was really protective of Meliodas while Meliodas himself was very shy and nonconfrontational. The two were completely opposites and yet such good friends.

"Really?! Escanor got punished for once!? That's new. I wonder what happened during the fight? I've heard rumors but missed it since I was sick."

Meliodas tensed and curled in on himself slightly while Ban gave him a concerned look as if asking if he were okay. Watching as the blond nodded but still looked uncomfortable, Elaine decided to change the topic.

"How are you adjusting to school Diane?"

She flashed a bright smile and had a cheery tone, doing her best to keep things from being awkward.

"O-Oh, I'm doing well I think. I'm not great in history, but I'm starting to do a lot better with English!"

"Ya know Mel here is pretty good with history, maybe he could help you out a bit?"

The blond gave a confused and alarmed look at Ban while the other just smiled comfortingly, clearly trying to get Meliodas to open up a bit. It definitely helped relieve Elaine a bit since it meant she wasn't alone in her efforts.

"U-Um ye-yeah.. I'm not great or anything.. b-but um... i-if you ever need someone to study with I-I could try to help."

Diane gave an awkward smile.

"U-Um.. yeah, sure..."

It was obvious she wasn't thrilled about the idea but was trying to be nice. Unlike someone else who had had enough of this and let his jealousy take over.

"Okay seriously Elaine?! You expect us to sit here after you manipulated us into coming to this stupid picnic?! I am not going to sit here with the son of the demon king and act like everything is perfectly fine when we both know it's not! I don't know what kind of stunt you were trying to pull, but there is no way I'd have lunch with that- that MONSTER!"

He was panting by the time he was done and calmed down a little. Silence was heard before Meliodas stood up with his bangs covering his eyes.

"Mel-"

"It's okay Ban... I understand when I'm not wanted, I'll just leave so you all can enjoy your picnic..."

He walked off after saying those quiet words and regret flashed briefly in King's eyes while Ban's held rage.

"Are you serious!? Do you have any idea how many times he's been called things like that!? He was so happy when you started treating him better, can you even imagine in that tiny coal heart of yours how crushed he probably is right now!? Get over your own stupid fucking pride and start looking at how he treats you vs how you treat him and see who fits the term monster better!"

He stormed off after that and went running in the direction Mel went to see if he was alright.

"I-I.."

Elaine didn't even look at the boy as he tried to apologize.

"E-Elaine-"

"You know.. I really wanted you two to get along. I thought you two were similar: kind, shy, considerate.. but you aren't anything like him. You're just selfish and cruel."