#39 Prom Planning.

"Okay, so Diane's working on my dress, I already know who I'm going with since I don't have an interest in a date, now all I need to do is keep studying so I can go!"

"Elaine, you know you might not be able to go... You're very smart, but that's a lot of work to get done before the prom. I just don't want you to make all of these plans only for it to fall through.."

"I know brother, but I can do it! Meliodas's tutoring from before really paid off and I know the basic material, it's just about expanding on it."

King tensed at that, he didn't make Elaine avoid Meliodas anymore, but things were still tense between the two after the picnic. From what Elaine could see, her brother avoided the demon because he was too prideful to apologize even though she knew he felt bad about what he said, and Meliodas was too shy and timid to actually confront King about it.

So in the end nothing got resolved and the last interaction remained an open wound that made both boys tense when hearing. Something that made Elaine's life even harder considering that her brother and one of her closest friends- both of which who were quite similar at heart might she add- couldn't even be mentioned around the other since it made things harder.

Men, why couldn’t they just stop with this stupid pride and get over this??

"Besides, even if I don't make it to the prom, studying is still gonna help me catch up so I can go next year. Right?"

"I suppose that's true, just don't overdo it okay?"

She smiled, something that always made the tough guy exterior King had fade away as it reminded him of when they were younger.

"I won't, promise brother."

"Alright, well I'm gonna go get some lunch with Diane. We should be back in maybe an hour or two. Do you want anything?"

"No I'm fine. Just don't do anything crazy you two~"

"E-Elaine!"

She snickered as he immediately blushed. The girl loved seeing him act so silly and bashful which is why she teased him so much.

Muttering under his breath about how she's spent too much time in high school, he left with a quick goodbye before leaving the blond to her studies.

You may be wondering why exactly her going to prom depended on the studies so much or how she was able to go at all, but it was quite simple. In order to encourage studying and discipline slacking, a few freshmen were allowed to attend the sophomore prom since not all sophomores went and it meant supplies wouldn't be wasted. However there was a catch, only the freshmen with the best grades got to go. That's why kids that normally slacked, would be working like crazy to get to go to one of the most popular events at school.

Including her, only she hadn't been a slacker, just someone very behind until Meliodas had come along.

Even though he was shy, didn't think too highly of himself,  and always getting disciplined by the teachers, he was very smart and an excellent teacher. He was patient, kind, and always went at a pace Elaine was comfortable with. Even if they had gone over it three times before!

That's why when she first started here she felt more at ease with him then with the teachers. And the girl was lucky for it since that's the reason she caught up as fast as she did. Otherwise she might had to have repeated the year.

He really was a lifesaver, something pretty ironic considering...

Letting her mind drift off, she began wondering how he was doing. He seemed a little off towards the end of the mall trip but overall looked like he enjoyed himself. Maybe he was just tired? Then why did he insist on walking home? Had they upset him? Or maybe there was something on his mind? Oh well, she'd see him at school tomorrow and until then, Elaine needed to finish studying. After all, there was only four weeks left until prom.
_________________________________________