Chapter Eleven

Harry

Ethan was panicking.

I knew this because he was tapping his legging erratically as we sat eating breakfast at the kitchen table. Ethan didn’t fidget – not unless he was well and truly shitting his pants panicking, that was.

“Stop.”

He raised his eyes to mine in question. “What?”

“Tapping your leg.” I couldn’t exactly spell it out clearly and ask him to stop panicking about the fact that we were now in fact going rogue against our own agency.

The house was completely wired with listening and viewing devices. If Dawson heard that we were now focusing all of our energies on taking him down, it could manifest a tiny problem in our current working relationship with him. Tiny.

It had been five days since the night Grant had killed himself and since Ethan and I had questioned Lawman. The truth had stumped me, I had to admit. But once I wrapped my head around it, anger and a desire for revenge soon gave me the sweet release from the paralysing fear I’d been caught in.

My father was back. He was trying to kill me.

There – I’d said it. It was a big statement, to be fair. I understood that. But I didn’t realise how free I’d feel once I got over the initial shock. That was my interpretation, anyway.

Ethan couldn’t understand this, of course. The times we’d spoken about it outside of the house, he had practically begged me to break down. He couldn’t understand that I was truly okay with my prognosis. Unless he saw me paralysed with fear, as I had been the previous night, he was certain I wasn’t coping.

I didn’t even know if I was coping or not – I assumed I was. I was able to make coherent plans and that seemed like good progress, wasn’t it? For instance, I planned on taking my shit-face of a father down and wipe him off the face of the earth. The exact details of this plan were still to be decided as of yet. All I knew was that I wasn’t going to give him a chance to kill me – or Ethan, for that matter.

Oh, didn’t you know? Lawman had so graciously told us that not only was my father set on killing his own son, he was after Ethan, too. Apparently we had foiled a huge drugs-bust a few years back that my father had been heavily involved in. Ethan had been the main operative in that mission.

And because Ethan was currently on this mission with me, my father said ‘fuck it, might as well kill them both. That Moore guy had pissed me off before anyway.’

Wasn’t that a hilarious turn of events? Not only did I have to worry for my own life, now only person I loved in the world was in danger. And that seriously pissed me off.

Another funny thing was that Lawman actually worked for my father. ‘Head of Distribution’ was his job title. White illegal substances were all the range, going by the profit my father made from selling it.

Yet another hilarious twist to this story? Dawson, our Captain for the past ten years, was my father’s business partner. Things were getting pretty cosy around here, weren’t they? It seemed they had arranged a deal years ago when Dawson was still an agent out on the field and not our Captain.

They had met during yet another drugs-bust case involving my father and it seemed that instead of handing him into the authorities, Dawson was swayed by the glitz and the profits my father promised him.

I’d always wondered how the Captain could afford such shiny watches, the smarmy bastard.

Ethan gave me a weird look as he rose from the kitchen table and placed his bowl in the sink. He seemed to have an uncanny ability to know whenever I was thinking about my father.