02 - Old Memories

Pov : Fiona Davis

Four Years Earlier

May 2011

The radio had been announcing the rainstorm of the decade all day, but I had been under the bridge since breakfast, hugging my knees. It was boring but infinitely preferable to high school.

After a time I startled out of my daydream, it was too dark. If I was late, mother would start asking questions. Aching with cold I rose to standing, hunched like an old woman.

With one glance I breathed a sigh of relief, it wasn't late; black cloud rolled like the midnight ocean every direction. The air was so humid I could taste it and already the cars had their headlamps on. I dusted off my jeans and hitched my backpack higher.

This couldn't be a long term plan, I knew that, but every other way was fear: fear of angry-faced teachers, kids who bullied and parents who demanded nothing less than perfection. When the heavens broke I stopped walking, standing statue-like in the rain. My long black hair stuck to my face and back, my clothes wet through in seconds.

The rain creates a beat upon the blacktop sidewalk. People pass as if in accelerated motion all except two people whom have let their umbrellas fall to the wet street and be blown by the wind. They are bound in a kiss that is so tender the world should stop on its axis and take note of their love, droplets beading their hair.

I identified the taller one as some popular guy at my high school, kind of the guy every one wants to be friend with. Always joking around and confident. I didn't know he was into guys, but, knew as a matter of fact that he was in a relationship with Olivia Calder .

I didn't have time to take a look at the smaller boy before they split , Lucas glaring threateningly at me.

"What are you looking at?" he barked.

"- N-Nothing ! " I stuttered.

In three steps he reduces the space between us to a few centimeters.

"I hope so and if you're going to tell the whole school about this, I'll make your life a living hell."

After a brief silence, he added :
" Understood?"

I answered Lucas' question with a nod.

When the body and brain both are on overload and running away is the only solution to escape this situation, you run.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

for most people, returning home brought out joy from within as surely as the new flower loves the sun, but for me it was a whole different feeling.

Coming home means arguing about my grades, my attitude again and again, always expecting me to be perfect.

Not being perfect is a statement of obviousness , we are born with fairly blank brains to mature and grow. What is perfect? Where is perfect? For all I see is a road that goes ever into a horizon, a journey that is ever present, and that bare souls walking that road is the very essence of being alive, the very purpose for which we are born.

Yet my parents are persuaded that I can be the perfect child like my sister is. But I'll tell you what, no she's not. She may be nice, funny, clever but she made mistakes too, she can get angry, feel vengeful and hate. Everyone has their own darkness.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

When I arrived home, my parents and sister were waiting for me on the couch with a concerned look on their face. I glanced at the clock: it was past 8 pm and I was supposed to be home by 5 pm...

They all turned their heads towards me, the worried look I had seen before turned to anger and disappointment. I knew what was going to happen.

When we are arguing it is as if they have forgotten who I am and what we are to one another. That's the problem with going full "Hulk-mode," you smash everything up. If you do that faster than we can rebuild, well, then you can figure out how all this will end, right?

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

After the argument I went straight to my room, my lashes filled of tears. I sat up in bed trying to calm down and turned on my phone.

In general, people didn't really talk to me. I was considered as a freak in high school, so I knew something was wrong when I saw all my notifications.

the one that caught my attention was Lucas' message. I opened it:

Lucas : ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW?!

Me : What are you talking about?

Lucas : YOU TOLD TO THIS FUCKING BITCH I KISSED A BOY?

Me : What are you talking about?? I didn't say anything.

Lucas : Then how does she know??

Me : I DON'T KNOW.

Lucas : Are you telling me that she is a fucking psychic ??

Lucas : She said you told her

Lucas : I warned you. I'm gonna make your life a living hell and I already started.

I shut my phone, my hands trembling. my thoughts were racing in my head.

What was I going on? I didn't tell anyone! Maybe she was there and saw them kissing, she often bunked school so it wouldn't surprise me.

And what did "I already started" mean?

🙤 · ┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ꕥ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈ · 🙦

(~ ̄▽ ̄) So what do you think of this?

This chapter is longer than the previous one, I really liked writing it!!

I hope you liked it,

sending y'all lots of love,

- Maya