Chapter 2.5

Alys woke in the morning, haven fallen asleep in the crude chair infront of her stove and sewing her shawl. It was almost finished, but she knew she would not have time to finishthat morning. She must hurry to do herchores and get the baking ready for the day at the market.

That day at the market was miserable. Alys had four loaves of bread, four of cornmeal, and three cakes to sell. Rain poured down for almost the entire morning. Her warmer dress had not been completely dry in the morning, so Alys was wearing her other worn out one. Because of the foul weather, hardly anyone was shopping in the market place that day.

Alys stood behind her table and under a leaky roof of the wall she leaned on. Water formed in puddles all over the place, making the market square look like a small pond. She had sold all three of the cakes, but only one cornmeal by midday.

Her feet were numb, standing in a puddle of ice water that accumulated against the stone wall behind her.

What was the point of even sticking around?

She was just starting to pack up when Brom came into the square. He was a tall, strongly built man, with slicked back golden hair and a strong face.

"What's he doing here?" Alys said to herself, trying to keep her face hidden from his view. Unfortunately, he chose her side of the square to start walking past every table. When he came to hers, he stopped.

"Alys, you did not dine with us last night."

"My Lord," Alys stopped what she was doing to bow slightly. He was a soldier of the prince now, and she knew she must show him respect.

"Come now," Brom seemed to laugh, "there's no need to be so formal, you've been staying with my parents for over a year now."

"That does not mean I should not show you some respect," Alys argued, making sure to avoid looking at his face by busying herself with putting away her food safely in her basket.

Brom did laugh then, "Have you always been such a lady?"

It was Alys's turn to laugh at his comment, "I think we both know that I own no such title."

There was a hint of annoyance in her reply. She did not need anyone, especially the son of the people she worked for, to remind her that she was a nobody. She finished packing up her baking and walked around the table to leave.

"Good afternoon, my Lord."

"Whoa, wait," Brom reached out to catch her arm as she walked past him, "Walk with me through the square. You might see something you like. I'll walk you home after."

"That isn't necessary," Alys assured him, and tried to move around him.

"Don't make me order you to accompany me," Brom tried to tease her, "I insist."

Alys dropped her gaze to the puddles on the stone street.

"Why would you want to be seen with the likes of me?"

Brom shrugged, as if what she had said did not matter at all to him.

"Everyone here is poor, no one will take notice."

Alys gave in, knowing that if she fought him, he would just order her to walk with him, and then she would have to.

He started to walk again, looking at each table that he passed. Alys walked behind him, trying to keep a distance between them that would not draw attention from anyone.

She was frustrated that he had made her accompany him. What had his reason been for requesting it? To humiliate her, and make her feel even worse about her status?