Chapter 10

As it turned out, Lord Balt was not asked to leave the palace as Alys had expected.  Dastrehan calmly explained that because of his power and the location of his fortress, Lord Balt needed to be present for discussions concerning the actions for the kingdom's security.  Alys could tell by how he spoke that he did not like the idea of Lord Balt continuing to stay in his palace, but it was necessary. 

Alys was dismissed from her regular duties, so not to come in contact with the Lord again.   In a fit of boredom, she made her way down to the kitchens to occupy her hands by making bread.  When she had exhausted the immediate supplies of the kitchen, she reluctantly made her way back up to the upper part of the palace, and went in search of Esme.

Alys found Esme folding laundry at a large table in one of the servant rooms.  She looked up from the robe she was folding when she heard Alys enter the room.

"Hello," Esme's voice was monotone, "I heard you had some excitement in the ball room last night."

Alys walked over to the table, grabbed a sheet, and shrugged.

"I guess you could say that," she stepped back to give herself room to fold the blue silken sheet in half.

Esme watched her in the corner of her eye, setting the robe she had folded down on a pile and reaching for the next piece of fabric. 

"How are you doing?"

Alys folded the sheet carefully, set it down, and grabbed another, considering her answer. 

"I think Prince Dastrehan was more upset than I was." she replied.

"Oh?"

Alys sighed, holding the sheet she was folding against herself, "Well it's not like I'm not used to men smacking me around. It's been happening since I can remember. I think that Lord Balt striking me was more of a shock to the prince than to me. I almost was expecting it- though not in front of that many people."

Esme sighed as well and nodded in agreement, "Tell me about it. But I did see Lord Balt in the halls this morning. Is he not leaving the palace?"

Alys shook her head, "The Prince says he is needed for further negotiations. I've been removed of my duties for the time being, which leaves me absolutely nothing to occupy myself with."

Esme frowned, "You are more than welcome to join her in here during the day. After I clean out some of the guest rooms, I come here and fold laundry for awhile."

Alys smiled and thanked her friend, continuing to fold piece after piece of newly washed fabric. 

A cool breeze came in from the windows in the back wall.  It would soon be April, and the air was becoming quite hot outside.  The palace was now always at a decent temperature, with fires only built in the fireplaces at night- if at all.  The air in the room was fresh and smelled like spring, as a river ran through the palace grounds and right outside of the room Esme and Alys were in. 

Alys walked to one of the large windows and leaded out, inhaling deeply.

"I do wish I could spend some time outside," she commented, "Do you think that there are odd duties that I could do outside?"

"You'd have to ask your reeve."

"I don't suppose the prince would allow it anyway. He's very particular on the duties I am allowed to perform. He must think I'm going to break or something!" 

Esme laughed at this, "Isn't it strangely funny how some men are such brutes towards women, but some others are overly cautious with pregnant women?"