Chapter 3.5

Targus meant more than a weeks' travel, and that was by horse-drawn carriage.  It would probably take her three of four times that time on foot.

But that was not the biggest problem.

Targus was built very near the end of the Tarkam kingdom, along the Tarkam-Catesh border.  In the past it had been said that young adults, both male and female, would disappear from the town at random.  People said that they had been kidnapped to be taken to the Catesh mines or to work as servants.

It was considered to be one of the less safe towns along the border.

As Alys saw it, she did not have much of a choice.  At least she had a small chance of starting another life in Targus, as dreary as it would be. 

But as hopeless as her situation seemed, she did receive one break.

Before she had traveled far on foot, leaving the village that had been her home for the last few years behind her, a convoy drove past her.  It was made up of three wagons with the King's, or rather the prince's now, decal decorating them.  It was escorted by three guards in armour and on horses.  The last wagon came to a slow stop just after they had passed Alys. 

Alys started to walk slower, wondering why one of the wagons had stopped.  As soon as one of the guards realized the last wagon had stopped, he let out a command, and the first two wagons started to roll to a halt.  

"Why did you stop?" The guard rode back to the driver of the last wagon.

The driver said something that Alys could not hear and the guard made a sound of annoyance in reply to the driver's words.

Then a figure dressed in an almost all black robe emerged from the back of the wagon.

"Sister Martha ," The guard said in address to the figure, "What is your reason for stopping this time?"

The figure just pointed towards Alys and started walking towards her.

Alys gasped as soon as she recognized the figure to be a woman- a woman of the church.

She bowed down as the woman approached.

"What are you doing out here at this hour, child?"  The woman said softly down to Alys.  Alys remained bowing,

"I am traveling to Targus, Sister," Alys replied.

"Stand up." The Sister ordered.

Alys complied.

"Why do you travel when the sun is nearly down? And when it is so cold?"

Alys could not meet the woman's eyes, "I must get to Targus. I might be able to find work there."

"And you plan to walk the whole way?" The Sister asked sounding shocked, "That would take you over a month's travel by foot Child."

Alys nodded, aware that the woman must think her completely mad.  She felt embarrassed being questioned in front of the guards and drivers that were watching.

The woman turned back to the guards.

"She comes with us," she instructed, walking back to the wagon she had emerged from.

"Unacceptable," the head guard retorted, "she has no business traveling with property of the prince."

The Sister turned to face the guard, "And you will let a child of the Lord God travel alone on these roads in the cold? She will most likely die from the cold or be taken by some outlaws."

She stared down the guard fiercely and the guard stared back for what felt like an eternity.

"Very well," the guard finally caved, "But is there is any trouble-"