Chapter 12

The last week of April dragged by.  Alys spent most of her time going for walks in the garden, or sewing in her room.  The day before May, the prince called for her to accompany him to the shooting range once again.  Alys complied, but she did not try any shooting herself.  She sat on a chair that had been provided for her and watched as the prince practiced.  Every now and then, he started up a conversation, but it soon died off.  Alys was getting tried faster these days, and for some reason she could not explain, she had never felt the same around Dastrehan since his advisor had mentioned the Marniac princess.  Something at the pit of her stomach seemed to squeeze together whenever she thought about it.  Captain Rohan stood behind her chair, continually on guard. 

Dastrehan shot an arrow right next to the target and sighed.

"This is ridiculous!"

Alys could not help herself from smiling, "You're forgetting to relax, your Highness."

"Dastrehan," the prince reminded her without looking in her direction, positioning another arrow to be shot.

"Fine, Dastrehan," Alys said, "You told me to relax, so you should listen to yourself."

Dastrehan chuckled, breathed out, and released the arrow.  It did not hit the target, but it did come very close.  Dastrehan put his hands in the air in frustration.  Alys pressed her lips together to stop a giggle from escaping her.  Dastrehan turned to look at her, grinning.

"Maybe you should shoot for me." he suggested.

"The Lady can shoot?" Captain Rohan voiced.

"Indeed she can," Dastrehan winked at Alys.  Alys rolled her eyes,

"That is not so. It was mere beginners luck."

"I am most curious-"

The captain was cut off by the sound of bells and trumpets.  Dastrehan immediately became serious and called to one of her guards to find one of the advisors. 

Before the guard had returned, a servant came hurriedly into the shooting range,

"Your Highness," the servant bowed quickly in front of Dastrehan, "King Lief has arrived. Along with his family and a bunch of servants and guards."

Alys immediately felt that tight feeling in her stomach again.  Dastrehan nodded to the servant and proceeded to hurry out of the garden himself, after telling Alys he would come to check on her later in the day. 

"Shall I escort you back into the palace, Lady?"  Captain Rohan asked.  Alys nodded, positioning herself to get up.  Rohan offered his hand, and Alys gratefully accepted his assistance.

They slowly made their way back into the palace.  Even though where they had entered was far from the main entrance, excited noises could be heard echoing through the halls.  Suddenly even more tired than she had been sitting in the sun, Alys headed back to her room to get some rest.  She closed the door behind herself, leaving Rohan out in the hall to his post.  She undid her belt, as metal was not an ideal thing to wear while sleeping.  Then she crawled into her bed, hoping to get some sleep before Dastrehan would come to see her. 

The prince did not end up coming to see Alys.  It was Rose that knocked on Alys's door, waking her up from the nap she had managed to take.  When she opened the door for the girl, Rose rushed in. 

"We must hurry to make you presentable!" she exclaimed.

Confused, Alys shut the door and turned to watch Rose bustle about the room "Whatever do you mean?"

"The prince has requested your presence at the super-time meal," Rose explained, pulling out the red dress that had been made for Alys.  She had never even worn it yet.