Chewing Gum

"Francie, mon chou, you're such a klutz! What on earth happened?" Celine questioned as she hurried into the store front, lavender chrysanthemums in one hand and a sweeping brush in the other.

Mon Chou. 

A French term of endearment meaning 'my sweet bun', a pet name Celine has called me ever since my first shift. I wouldn't want those sweet words to fall from anyone else's lips.

Staring at the pile of roses, carnations and smashed glass at my feet, I looked back at Celine apologetically. "I am so sorry Celine, it was an accident, I've just been so-"

"No no, none of that my dear, it's absolutely fine. Is everything okay? It hasn't got anything to do with that boy again has it? If he's been upsetting you, I can always get my Niall to have a word with him?" Celine interrupted. A warm tingle spread across my skin at her words.

Always so worried about me.

Niall being her son. And my bestfriend. I love him to pieces, he doesn't possess Celine's gentle nature, but he's a darling with me. We go to college together and are planning on moving in together next year. We're inseparable. A dynamic duo.

I shake my head disapprovingly.

But I know that if I agreed, that 'word' Niall would have would end in bruises and my relationship in a bigger shambles.

'That boy' is Hugo. A guy I've been dating for the last six months. We have been on about six or seven dates, and he just asked me to be his girlfriend last month! Well I think he did, he asked me over text. It still means the same, right? It just wasn't how I expected my first relationship to become official, that's all. But recently, let's just say things have been a little complicated, Hugo being an only child constantly having all the attention and a short temper can make him a little... difficult.

Unfortunately for Celine, she has to deal with the aftermath of our arguments the next day. For example, when my shaking hands got the better of me.

And of course, I had to ruin my best bouquet of the day. It was an elegant fusion of purple alstroemeria and carnations, with orange germini, cerise and orange roses. It had grace and warmth, the complete opposite of my butter fingers.

Celine handed the chrysanthemums to me and knelt down to clean up my mess, being careful not to prick herself on the glass shards. "I'll tidy this Francie, go get me one of those muffins you brought in! Leave them out on the till, we're closing soon and they'll go stale by Monday!" She asks whilst sweeping the glass up.

She really does mean the world to me, Celine. Ever since my mother abandoned me and my father, I never really had someone to look after me, I was always the one doing the nurturing. However, since working at Un Bouquet de Violettes, she has taken me under her wing and taken that spot I so desperately needed filling. I think that is why she is so protective of me, especially when it comes to my love life, as she knows I only have my father as family and just wants to keep me protected from all the harm the world brings.

If only she knew why I am been so shaken up.

Skipping past the till, I stroll pinto the store's back room. The walls are painted a delicate periwinkle, with beige accents on the door and skirting. It's modest, with two wooden chairs sandwiching a metal garden table, placed by the windowsill. Just enough for Celine and I, how I like it. She's my whole universe, no one will ever compare.

Sorry Niall.

The chairs look out onto the market square, the cobblestones painting the streets and the fountain in the middle. On a day like today, with the sun blaring through the clouds, the water looks like liquid silver, creating a rippled reflection on the streets. Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to work somewhere as picturesque as this, one day I'd like to call it home.