XXXI

"Have you got any plans for your birthday?" My father asked me one night at dinner.

I shrugged, "No... but I don't feel like doing anything."

"And why the hell not?"

"Because... I don't care about my birthday." I replied, taking a bite of my pizza. I was actually hoping that the topic of my birthday wouldn't even come up until the day before when it's too late to plan anything.

"C'mon Hailey let's plan something, invite your friends." My mother suggested, like hell, I'm going to do that.

Brandon, Pete, and Carmen all together at my house. Yeah, that sounded like fun. My mom would probably have a stroke after hearing us joking about weird stuff. 

I was sticking by what Jesse said and staying away from him. He checked up on me this morning but I kept our conversation short, no point in putting in effort when both act like a shitty teen movie with an on and off relationship.

"Mom, I doubt you'd like any of Hailey's friends." Natalie chimed in with a smile, I knew she was trying to help me out which I was grateful for.

"None sense—"

My dad chuckled, "You know I think she's right Laura, I doubt someone as fun as Hailey hangs out with anyone you'd find a great role model."

That made me smile, I always questioned how my mom and dad were a real couple. Maybe all those years ago my mom wasn't such a stick in the mud, I'm guessing something had to have clicked or it was young dumb love and two teens having a child that wasn't planned, they can thank Cecilia for that one.

"No!" She scoffed but I could see a smirk on her face, "I loved all your friends except that Leah girl... she was a real bitch."

All of us stopped eating, our jaws dropped. Our moralist of a mother swearing was as rare as lightning striking you.

"Holy shit!" I exclaimed, "Did you say a 'no-no' word?"

"I think she did!" Natalie said, wiggling her eyebrows. The two of us burst out laughing again. 

"Your mother used to swear like a trucker, girls... back when she was in high school." My dad said and she rolled her eyes at him but was smiling.

"But about that party—"

-

After being peer pressured, I agreed to have dinner for my 21st birthday.

My mom and dad both said to invite as many people as I wanted as I decided to invite Carmen, Pete and Brandon. They all showed up and Cecilia, Mike, and Natalie came as well.

I'd say it went well except for the fact that all of us sitting together made our table smell like a hot box. What's a birthday with a bit of weed?

I should have waited to open my gifts at home since the 3 of them (Carmen, Brandon, and Pete) collectively got me a gift that included a candle that was labelled 'This smells like my vagina'

I smacked my hand to my forehead laughing, especially when everyone wanted me to read it out loud in a family-friendly restaurant. The gifts from them 3 continued to one-up each other (they also got me individual gifts), from candy underwear to a purple bong. Mind you, I opened these in a restaurant that was filled with people of all ages. I was glad when gifts from my sister and parents were more normal like clothing, earrings and those little dice from my car.

"Hailey, is it cool if I spend the night at your house?" Carmen asked when my parents were paying for the bill.

"Course, did you bring clothes?" I asked her and she nodded with a smile.