003- assignments

Welcome to Karasuno High!

Congratulations on finishing middle school! We hope that the next three years you spend with us will be ones to remember!

For your break assignment, complete a journal entry about your break! This will be your first graded assignment, so please do your best! Since this is a journal entry, feel free to be as casual as you'd like! (Slang is permitted, curse words are not.)

We can't wait to see you!
#ClassOf20XX

°°°

Right after the end of my last year of middle school, I moved from Tokyo to Miyagi to live with my cousin and aunt. Even though the home we live in is small and literally above our store, I love it so much more than my old home in Tokyo. It just feels so much warmer here.

Our store is pretty close to Karasuno. Because of this, the volleyball team members come to our shop nearly every day after their practices. In just a month, I've made good friends with a few of the upperclassmen. It's nice to know that I'll have some friendly faces once I start school...

°✎°

"NO. THERE ARE NO MORE MEAT BUNS. LEAVE." i heard keishin yell over my headphones. i pause my music and walk up to the front of the store to see my cousin frustrated at a sweat dropping daichi. he sees me and instantly smiles.

"hey y/n!" daichi says with a huge grin. still a bit tired from working at the store all day, i wave and smile back as a floof of gray hair spins around.

"y/n!!" sugawara gleams as he opens his arms for a hug. i chuckle and make my way over to return it.

"great, kid, you're here! now get your friends to leave." keishin says as daichi and suga grumble. suddenly, my collar is grabbed, pulled back, and an arm is put around my shoulders. before i could react, tanaka pulls my beanie off and puts it on.

"you could have hurt her!" suga pouts in response to tanaka's friendly aggression. he laughs and spins his keys around his finger, right in front of my face, nearly hitting my forehead. in fear of getting hurt, i quickly remove myself from his grasp.

"tanaka, just because you're hard headed, doesn't mean everyone else is." i cooed, putting his arm that held the keys down. a small giggle comes from kiyoko, so i send a friendly wave in her direction.

"look, i'll pay extra. i just really want some meat buns." daichi compromises and the rest of the team nods in agreement. keishin deadpans, running a calloused hand that didn't hold a cigarette over his face.

"i honestly don't care anymore. y/n, you deal with them." he sighs, leans back, and puts his feet on the counter. in disgust, i roll up a newspaper near me and wack his ankles.

"get your ashy ass feet off the counter." he grumbled at me, but obliged. looking near the back of the store, i see my aunt raise an eyebrow at keishin's actions. she shakes her head in disappointment and continues walking. i turn back to the hungry team, waiting for my words. sighing, i pull a stool next to keishin and sit. i make a "c" shape with the hand closest to him to pretend like i didn't want him hearing my words. i whisper loudly, "there are extra meat buns in the back."

keishin groans and throws his head back against the chair as the team cheers and runs to the back.

"you're preparing the meat buns tomorrow." he says stubbornly, inhaling smoke from the cancer stick, earning a laugh from me for his child-like behavior.

°✎°

...I was wondering if I was going to continue playing volleyball. Before, it seemed like the natural thing to do. But is that the path I really want to take? Don't get me wrong, I love the sport. But everytime I think about playing in a game, I get this sudden wave of stress.

I have time to decide what I want to do, so I think taking a break from playing team volleyball would be the best choice at the moment. That doesn't mean I'm completely separating paths from volleyball yet...

°✎°

"manager?" i'm sitting with suga at a nearby park. while drinking from his water bottle, he nods. i was helping the team out take laps around the park, recording their times. suga was the first one back.

"yeah! think about it." he stops for a second to catch his breath from running. he leans forward to rest his elbows on his knees and continues. "kiyoko would love the help. plus, she's gonna be a third year."

"as long as it's not much work." suga puts his head on my shoulder, his sweat getting on my clothes. "suga, no." disgusted, i pushed him off of me, but he retaliated by laying down, resting his head on my thigh. i deadpanned as he smiled victoriously, still out of breath from the run. hearing footsteps, i hit the stopwatch as daichi runs past the line.

"how... how did you beat me?" the captain was completely out of breath. reminded me of a middle aged dad running after their child. suga simply laughs.

"ah, he's getting slow. and is that a gray hair i see?" i joke, pointing at daichi's short hair. he rolls his eyes and lightly shoves my head.

"what does everyone have against gray hair?" suga thought out loud.

"don't worry, it looks good on you, makes you look... mature." i said. he smiled before instantly dropping it, realizing it was an insult. daichi and i chuckle and i pat sugawara's head, apologizing for the friendly joke. the captain then rests his arms on the back rest of the bench suga and i are on, his arms hovering over the boy's body.

"i hope we get some good first years this year." he was thinking out loud. you can tell the stress is eating at him. i put my hand on his arm and smile up at him.

"don't worry. i'm sure you'll get some great guys this year." my smile seems to reassure him. he smiles back, a silent "thank you" shone through his eyes. in the distance, tanaka's war cries get louder. as soon as he passes the line, i record his time.

"d-don't... don't even tell me my ti-"

"six minutes forty-three seconds." i announced. the other two boys ooh-ed as tanaka groaned and threw himself on the grass.

"co-manager would be less work, by the way." daichi suddenly said. i made a confused face, wondering how did he hear suga and i's conversation. he winked before grabbing his bottle on the floor, tilting his head back to drink.

°✎°

...Thankfully, no one has recognized me as my father's daughter. Or at least, they haven't brought it up. I guess I'll see as time goes by. My dad was pretty well known in the volleyball world, so I can't avoid the conversations forever. Regardless, I want this year to be a fresh start...

°✎°

"i'm off to school!" i yell so that my aunt hears me from upstairs. I snatched a few things in the store as i heard her yell back "okay love, stay safe!"

"woah woah woah, listen cuzzo," keishin walks in front on me to block my exit. "if you keep taking all of the food in the store, ma is gonna kill me." i look down at the various snacks that i took. i quickly shove them in my bag so that i'm left with only a pack of cookies and an iced tea in my hands. he nods approvingly, "that's better." i mock a salute to him before making my way towards the door.

"oi, you never told me why you picked karasuno." I turn back around to look at him. "you got into better schools. i don't mind driving you to school in the morning, ya know?" he snuffs out his cigarette and shoved his hands into his orange hoodie.

"oh, it's pretty simple actually..." i laughed. "karasuno had the easiest break assignment." keishin face palms before sighing.

"whatever kid. good luck at school." he chuckles.

i grinned before spinning around. "thanks! love ya!"

"mmhmm, love ya too."

*