004- recruits

on my way

...out the school campus, a few of the teachers told me to call the v.p. from the boys volleyball court.

"vice principal! there's some teachers that said they needed you at the caf—" before i could finish, the loud sound of a volleyball slamming the floor cut me off.

the ball was hit with enough force to bounce up again and head straight towards me.

"y/n watch—" before the three third years could finish, i stop the ball from hitting my face with one outstretched hand, holding it in front of me.

lowering my arm, i look at the direction the ball came from. a red head, who was laying on the floor, presumably in attempt to dodge the flying ball. and a boy with jet black hair on the other side, mouth agape.

"NICE REFLEXES, LADY!!" tanaka yells, breaking the sudden silence. i gave him a smile and tucked the ball under my arm. "whenever you're ready, there's some teachers who are asking for you at the cafeteria." i say to the v.p. before serving the ball back to the other side, straight to the boy with black hair. it was safe to assume that he needed to try again. he catches the ball, stares at me for a second too long, then clears his throat and bounces the blue and yellow ball a few times.

"ah, yes, i know about that. thank you for letting me know. i'll be there shortly." the vice principal nods strictly. i return the action and walk towards the third years.

"these are your new recruits?" i whisper to the three, throwing them a concerned look as i walk in front of them to stand in between tanaka and suga. tanaka instantly rests his arm on my shoulder and suga smiles at me as a greeting. daichi sighs and yells, "okay you two! cut it out!"

"i see the new recruits have no respect for their captain." the v.p. says dryly. i raise my eyebrows and look over at suga. he purses his lips and shrugs, signaling that he doesn't know what to do either.

the taller boy serves the ball. the red head, with impeccable speed, gets in position to catch it—

"if this continu—" WHACK

"OOOOOOOH!!!"

the v.p.'s wig flies off and lands on daichi's head. the ball bounces and echoes through the once again deathly quiet court. tanaka and i are holding back laughter.

"sheesh, man that was a toupee?" the taller boy said. a squeak of my laughter slips out, but the v.p. thankfully didn't notice.

"you just figured that out? i noticed it at the entrance ceremony." the red head replied, setting tanaka into a fit of laughter, and me trying desperately to hold it in.

"dude, shut up! it wasn't even that funny!" tanaka screeches, trying to catch his breath. he laughs even louder, earning a "you shut up, moron!" from suga.

"captain, a word, please."

°°°

"luckily, he doesn't want an apology." i pack away my homework and walk over to the boys. i decided to stay a bit after school since it felt quite rude to leave after the "incident". on the bright side, i got my homework done.

"but we have been sworn to secrecy." it really wasn't much of a secret to begin with. i mean the wig looks so synthetic—

"if you'd handled the serve, it wouldn't have happened in the first place! you're the same klutz that you were last year! i can't believe i thought you'd be a challenge!"

"you don't know when to quit, don't you!"

"CAN IT!!" oop- angry daichi. is there a lecture that follows?