5. A Friendship Born of Manipulation

Virginia lay silent, chained to the bed. Her wrists were an angry red color from the rubbing of the chains against her skin. Both her wrists and ankles were chained down. She thought they had her locked down tight before, they had been holding back. She had pretty much not been allowed to move from her bed except for bathroom breaks twice a day and she was allowed to sit up to eat. She smiled as she saw the guards roll up with the food cart. They hadn’t tried starving her since she ripped apart the guards and the nurse. At least they were capable of being taught a lesson.

“What do we have today?” she asked with a smile as they brought in the tray of food.

“I don’t honestly know what it is, not sure I want to either.”

“Mm yum,” Virginia said. She looked at the young man standing in front of her. Torben. They had assigned him to her, and only her after what happened. It was their way of rubbing salt in the wound for him. He was the reason that she was able to do that to those people, but it wasn’t entirely him. She manipulated him. For the first few weeks he wouldn’t say a word to her, wouldn’t meet her eyes. But they had started to form a friendship, at least, she thought they had. It felt like one.

“Here, let’s sit you up,” he said. She relaxed her muscles as he undid the cuffs on her wrists. She sat up slowly, giving him time to back off. She rubbed her wrists until the red started to disappear. He set the tray in front of her and pulled the lid off. It looked like the most unappetizing thing in the world. Her stomach growled, alerting her to the fact that she was going to have to choke it down.

“So,” she said after she forced herself to swallow the first spoonful of mush, “What made you want to join the lovely NSSB?” He settled into the chair ten feet away from her, it was bolted to the floor so she couldn’t easily use it.

“What makes you think this is the NSSB?” he asked.

“I saw the insignia on some equipment in the torture chamber,” she said.

“The lab,” he corrected her.

“You say toh-may-toh I say toh-ma-toh. Stop dodging the question,” she said to him. The corners of his mouth lifted slightly and he sighed.

“Why should I tell you anything about my personal life?”

“Because I tell you things. And let’s not pretend that even if Big Brother weren’t listening you wouldn’t run and tell them everything I say.”

“How do I know that you won’t tell your people everything about me?”

“Do you quite honestly think that if I could contact my people that I would still be in here? Do you think this place would still be standing?” He smirked at her.

“Probably not.”

“Okay then, go on. Why’d you join?”

“My brother was killed by a supe and my parents urged me to join.”

“Did you want to join?” she asked as she shoved another spoonful into her mouth. It was like the consistency of pudding.

“I don’t know,” he said, “I don’t think I did. I’m happy I’m here now.” She nodded slowly as she watched him.

“What killed your brother?” His blue eyes met hers for a moment, he hesitated.

“We were told werewolf.”

“I’m sorry,” she said to him.

“It wasn’t you,” he said, “I don’t think anyways.”

"How old was he?”

“Fourteen,” he said, “They never found his body.”

“How do they know it was a werewolf then?”