11. Amethyst

She slept curled tightly against his body. Her mass was much smaller than the last time they had seen each other. It had been months since the abduction and not once had they even glanced upon one another. Jason had done that on purpose because he knew the mate bond would grow weaker and so would they. But what scared Kaleb even more now was that they had allowed them to sleep together. Even after months of sleep deprivation he couldn't allow himself to sleep while she was vulnerable in enemy territory. She hadn't wanted to sleep either, he could tell, but after a few moments of feeling their bond hum with electricity once again, her body won out and she drifted. He knew the minute she hit her REM cycle, her breathing evened out completely and her muscles relaxed against him.

He gazed down her frail body. She had lost so much muscle mass that she was akin to a standard supermodel in weight. Not healthy in his eyes. But he had lost weight too. It was mostly not having room to move in. She had her leg wrapped around his, her ankle bone protruded uncomfortably from her skin. But she had fed from him, despite her desperately trying to refuse his offer, eventually she gave in. He felt weak for now, but soon she would be healthier and he would be able to draw power from her. His large hand wrapped around her slender one that rested atop his chest and squeezed. He intertwined his fingers with hers and she squeezed back. His head bobbed as sleep tried to win out. He sighed and closed his eyes momentarily to offer himself some sort of relief.

He knew the second he entered her dream. He felt lighter, lighter than he had in months. He opened his eyes and everything was hued in brighter colors than he was used to. He found himself standing in the living room of a house he was unfamiliar with. He looked down at his hands, all the scars there were faded, almost to the point of disappearing. She always saw him in such a different light than he was used to.

"Mm thanks babe," a male voice stole his attention away from his hands. He fought a growl as he watched Virginia bend down to receive a kiss from a blonde haired man who he assumed to be Chad. She smiled, a genuine smile, and it killed Kaleb inside to know that she had been happy with him at some point. She cleared a few empty beer bottles from around the small group of men in the living room and headed for the kitchen. Chad smacked her ass playfully and she gasped as her cheeks reddened. She chuckled and bumped him with her hip. Kaleb couldn't help himself, he growled. His. Not Chad's. His.

"Can you bring us another round babe?" Chad's voice called to her.

"Of course," she shot over her shoulder. Wolf recoiled at how obedient she was being. Kaleb didn't like it either. She opened the swinging door that separated the kitchen and living room with her hip and let it swing shut behind her.

"Man this is what life's about huh?" one of the men said aloud, "Hot wives, beautiful children, nice houses, and freedom of speech. We're sure living it up." There was a chorus of agreements. Virginia rinsed the bottles and tossed them in the recycling bin.

"Chad, Sheena wants to have you and Virginia over for dinner one of these nights," another man said. Virginia groaned quietly to herself and the mention of dinner. Kaleb then realized that she was eavesdropping on their conversation and that was the only reason he could hear them.

"When are you thinking?" Chad asked.

"This upcoming Friday."

"Sorry man, I think we have plans."

"You always have plans. Sheena's starting to think that Virginia doesn't like her." Virginia nodded dramatically in the kitchen as she leaned into the fridge to retrieve another round of beers.