Chapter 3: Familiar

Virgil awoke, sore and aching and looking up at the starscape painted on his ceiling.
He heard a knock on his door and someone - who had been humming - sink out.
"Kiddo? I'm gonna come in, ok?"
He didn't respond, and the door opened, the light turned on, and Patton came to sit on the bed next to him.
"You slept all day, champ?" The paternal side smiled sweetly and Virgil didn't respond, just looked down. "You... Wanna come help me make dinner for everyone?" Patton didn't let his smile drop, but Virgil could tell he was worried. And when he turned back round Patton held tears in his eyes. "Kiddo, what happened to your eye?"
The bruises... Virgil welled up and soon he was held in Patton's arms, sobbing into his shoulder and burying his face into the warmth and comfort the paternal figure gave. "I'm sorry, dad..." He whispered as he shook, Patton rubbing circles onto his back.
"It's ok." Patton shushed. "It's gonna be OK, V."
Soon Patton managed to get Virgil out of his room, taking him downstairs where Logan and Roman were discussing the implausibility of one of Roman's TV shows. They both greeted Virgil and Patton and the youngest took his seat in his usual black comfy chair. He knew they knew something was wrong.
But he wouldn't tell them.
Who knows what Deceit would do to himself, or worse, them.
"So, Virgil, what do you think of the video we created today?" Logan asked, attempting to start conversation and steer it on from the argument he had been having with Roman.
"I guess it was OK..." Virgil mumbled, pulling at his own sleeves and looking at the TV, where Hannah Montana was playing.
"I wish that no good snake dude would stop showing up." Roman spoke, not noticing the flinch Virgil gave. "He has no place popping up all the time."
"Can we not talk about it?" Virgil asked, being reminded of how Roman used to treat him when he would show up.
"Of course. So Roman, the dad in this is actually the actresses father?" Logan continued with the previous conversation.
"Yeah." Roman answered.
Virgil didn't know how to feel about the fact that none of them knew. Patton suspected something but he didn't know exactly what was happening with Deceit. He wanted to tell them but... But Deceit could change right? If not he... He cared about Virgil right? He... Wanted to look after him and make sure he ate and slept.
But he knew how abusing Deceit was. He hated him. He hated how much he wanted to attack him when he turned up. He hated the beating and the whispers and the... Forceful... Things...
Patton was shaking him, he looked concerned. The others looked concerned.
He was crying... Since when had he been crying?
He was broken.
And broken only attracted broken. Right...?
"Virgil?" Patton's voice came, soft and concerned.
"Virgil are you ok?" Logan asked.
They were all staring at him.
"Is it Deceit?" Roman asked. And that was all it took for Virgil to start crying.