Chapter 16

The two passengers got out of the cart on the outskirts of Uruk. To anyone looking on, the two were probably an odd duo. One with light features that made it impossible to tell if they were a man or woman with the green hair of the forest. The other a scrawny boy, with scruffy brown hair that barely reached his ears.

Hakuno had to admit, it had been a few weeks, but it was still unnerving looking into a mirror and seeing a boy with Sumerian features look back at her. Not to mention that going to the bathroom and changing have both been unnerving experiences. Even her voice had dropped to a lower register.

She waved farewell to the caravan that was willing to take them this far. It had taken much convincing and all of their coin and even then, they had to work on the caravan to get taken this close to the city. It was a good learning experience for Enkidu and she learned they were unnaturally strong to the point she had to instruct them to pretend to be able to carry less to avoid suspicion.

The first thing she noticed was a construction site right outside of the city proper. Despite the hot sun, the people of her kingdom were hard at work, layering stones to create the ziggurat.

"They do not look happy Hakuno," commented Enkidu.

Hakuno shook her head. "No, they do not. And this is so unlike him. We have spoken about this, about not having them work at this time of day. It is too hot, and the slaves will collapse from the heat." She shook her head and looked around cautiously but thank the Gods, no one seemed to be listening to their conversation. "Also remember, what we talked about. Do not call me by my real name while in the city."

Enkidu nodded solemnly. "I need to call you Zaibu even if you do not look different to me."

Hakuno smiled. "That is correct." Siduri had not been concerned when Enkidu insisted Hakuno looked the same to them. Enkidu was not human and the spell was designed for humans. It was odd to think about, especially since Hakuno saw herself with a male body. So, despite her body saying it was male, she still wore the tunic-styled clothing instead of leaving her chest exposed as the men usually did.

As they entered the city proper, Hakuno nodded the guards were not as alert as they used to be. They barely paid any mind to Hakuno's quick explanation of coming here for a wedding of a family member.

Inside the city itself, she could tell things were different. It was not something tangible, but everyone seemed to walk with an air of caution to them and weight on their shoulders. Even Enkidu seemed to sense something was off as they looked around with a caution that they did not have in Lagash.

"Ha-Zaibu, where are we going?"

"For some information." She found a tavern in the middle of the city. Nabu's Respite. Not the most reputable but better than the ones found in the slums. In her caravan time, they would come here for information as it was safe, relatively speaking.

"Make sure you keep the hood of your cloak up," she instructed Enkidu before doing the same.

The tavern had the smell of cheap liquor ingrained in the tables. Despite it being midday, there were a few individuals seated. A pair of merchants and a couple of palace guards. They were in normal garb, as they were off duty but Hakuno recognized them as ones that guarded the entrance of the palace.

She chose the table in between the two as if not to appear to care about where she sat. Enkidu sat across from her and it was obvious they were tempering the urge to look around.

The bartender came over as it seemed no one else was working and Hakuno ordered the cheapest liquor on the menu as well as a small plate of snacks.

"Eat slowly and do not drink as much." She had no idea how Enkidu's body could handle liquor, but she did not want to risk them making a scene in a drunken stupor.