Chapter 7

Hakuno awoke the next morning very confused. Where in the world was she? The room was large, bigger than the caravan which she spent most of her life but about the same size as the room she had shared with the other slaves. Only, it was just her. The bed was plush with pelts of who knows what. There was a chest for clothes but she had nothing but her one dress.

She stretched her legs and savored with how much she could move them now. The area around her ankles was slightly raw but that would heal in time. She gently touched the spots and sighed. If only Ekur did not see the injury. Then she would not have to worry about this.

Getting to her feet, she padded over to the window and peered out. The sun was beginning to rise and it cast a warm glow over the city of Uruk. A part of her wondered if Gilgamesh had given her this room on purpose. The view was beautiful.

"Hello?"

Hakuno turned in surprise at the voice. "Shub? What are you doing here?"

Her friend was holding a tray of food in her hand and she had a wide smile on her face. "Oh! It's you Hakuno. Oh Sin! Your shackles are gone! It is true then! I would hug you but…hang on!" Shub dropped the tray on a small table near the door before she ran over and swept Hakuno up in a huge hug. "I am so happy for you!"

Hakuno took a few steps back in surprise by the addition of her friend's weight. "What are you doing here Shub?"

"I got reassigned." Shub released her and took a few steps back. "Apparently the King himself went to Paubi and requested it himself. My job is to now take care of you! Can I just call you Hakuno or should I go with 'master' or something else?"

This was weird to say in the least. She shook her head. "Just go with Hakuno please Shub." She grasped her friend's hand in her own. "We are friends. I cannot picture you serving me and whatnot. Plus I was a slave a day before just like you." She wished she could do something more for Shub but unlike her, Shub had the brand on her skin.

"Anyway, it is time for you to eat." Shub gestured to the bowl of food she had left by the door. "You are meeting baru Ekur in one of the old back rooms right? To look at the library? Will you be needing me there as well in case you need anything?"

Hakuno shook her head as she sat on her bed and accepted the bowl of grain porridge. A simple breakfast, not something someone of her current status level should be eating. However, she remembered from certain texts that going to a richer diet suddenly can make one sick. "I will be fine for my work Shub. However…what happened yesterday? With…him."

She shivered. She could still picture his disgusting hands on her. That was something that was not going away any time soon. After she had been taken to the blacksmith and had the shackles removed she was moved into to her new room. After exploring it, she had fallen asleep.

Shub sat cross-legged on Hakuno's bed. "Wow. This is comfy!" She pushed her hair behind her ear. "Well, last night, under the light of the moon, under the light of Sin, himself, the King had Nanam killed. I do not know if he did it himself but he was there."

"This is going to cause so many problems with Nippur," sighed Hakuno. Gilgamesh could be so rash sometimes. Although she agreed that he deserved it from what he had done to the various female slaves of this household.

But I am happy the King took care of him," sighed Shub. She grinned at Hakuno. "He really cares for you. It is a surprise really. Usually he takes a woman he has an interest to his chambers for a night but that is it. He has not taken anyone since you came here so it has to mean…" She trailed off when she noticed the wide-eyed, blushing look on Hakuno's face. "Oh…sorry."