Chapter 24

Gilgamesh woke and was confused why his bed was so lumpy and crowded. Fast asleep, next to him was his Queen, in the body of a boy. Incredibly confusing as Enkidu saw her as a woman but it was still her. As he sat up, he saw Enkidu was also awake. It had surprised him to find out that they slept in the same bed with their backs to each other. With anyone else, he would have been furious for someone sleeping next to Queen but with Enkidu it was different. Perhaps it was the friendship they shared and the trust he had in them, but he knew there was nothing more to their relationship.

He gestured for the ur-sal to follow him and both carefully got out of bed, to not disturb Hakuno.

It was still early so the palace was quiet, the gardens devoid of any slaves. His guard waited by the entrance, their back to the gardens to get a semblance of privacy.

"What is it Gil?" asked Enkidu.

Gilgamesh kneeled before Enkidu without a word and pressed Enkidu's hand to his forehead.

"Gil, my King, what are you doing!?" Enkidu's voice had a hint of panic in it.

"You brought her back to me. You protect her all this time. You healed her and stood by her side. You protected her even against me. I am in your debt Enkidu."

"Gil please." They pulled their hand out of Gilgamesh's grasp and helped the King to his feet. "We are friends and as she has taught me, friends care for each other. In a way, I have to thank you. If you had never accepted her as your Queen, if you had never let her go, I would have been unable to meet her and in turn, never have met you."

"That Queen of mine." Gilgamesh had to shake his head. "I want to lock her away with my treasures sometimes."

Enkidu chuckled. "I do not think she would like that very much."

"She would probably escape from there and then chastise me for it," he grumbled. He gestured to the bench. "That is where it all started. I met her here, in these gardens."

"Oh, so this is when she kicked you." Enkidu's eyes twinkled with mischief as they sat down on the bench.

"Remove that memory from your mind right now." Gilgamesh sat down next to Enkidu and crossed his arms.

Enkidu laughed. "I refuse. It is a precious memory for both of you-well a more painful one for you."

Comfortable silence descended upon them. The morning orange light washed over the gardens.

"I have been meaning to ask," spoke up Gilgamesh.

"Yes, Gil?"

"Why do you always wear that?" He eyed the oversized white clothing Enkidu wore. "I have given you so many clothes but you always wear that thing the most."

Enkidu smiled and gently touched a sleeve. "This was the first real clothing I have ever had. Hakuno made it for me. It is precious. Although she has been commenting on it as well, saying I should change to something else. I mean, I allow it time to get cleaned so I do not see the problem." They frowned.

A flare of jealously sparked in the King. Hakuno never made his clothes! He would demand her to make him some!

"Well, I will have to give you something too!" He grabbed the fabric that was slung over his shoulder and pulled it off. "Here."

"I cannot take this," Enkidu said in surprise.

"Nonsense, I have plenty more. My Queen should not be the only one you wear the clothes of!"

Enkidu blinked slowly and laughed again. "Yes, I can see the childish nature in you."

"Now you better not start as well. I get it enough from her."