Chapter 18

"You look very happy."

Hakuno looked up from the clay tablets as Enkidu walked into their room.

"Oh, how did you know?"

Enkidu shrugged. "You just look happier. Does that make sense?"

Hakuno had to laugh at Enkidu's confused expression. "Yes, it does. And yes, I am happy. I got to meet an old friend today. What about you? How was it, your first day alone with Gil?"

"I am not sure if I am judging it correctly, but I assumed it went well. We had a wrestling match in the guards training yard. I think both of us got a little too into it, as you would put it."

"Are you alright?" Hakuno looked Enkidu over with a critical eye and held out her hands. "Does anything hurt?"

Enkidu shook their head. "No, I am alright. We kept it clean this time, just did a lot of rounds. I heard the guards placing 'bets' while were wrestling. What does that mean?"

That did not surprise her. Anyone who was able to keep up with the King was bound to draw attention. She was about to tell Enkidu what a bet was when she heard a voice from the doorway.

"I have brought dinner!" Shub did not wait for the okay before walking in with a tray of food.

Enkidu looked at the girl in surprise and then at Hakuno. "I thought..."

"This was the person I was talking about." Hakuno took the tray of food from Shub and put it on the table. "Is it safe for you to be here though Shub? We are pretty close to the King's quarters."

"I was careful, and I took the slave passages." She grinned. "In case you forgot, I know how to be invisible when I want to be."

"How did you convince Paubi to let you come over here though?"

"I just told her you wanted to ask me a few questions about taking a few jobs in the palace."

"I think I am rubbing off on you." Hakuno shook her head. Realizing Enkidu was watching them curiously, she gestured for them to join the girls. "Enkidu, this is Shub. Shub, this is Enkidu."

"Oh, I remember you. Hakuno has spoken about you. You are her slave friend." Enkidu smiled. "I am glad you survived the bandits."

Shub seemed taken aback by Enkidu's demeanor. "Thank you for taking saving and helping Hakuno."

Enkidu shook their head. "No. Hakuno helped save me. She taught me so much of the world."

"She taught me much as well. I can read now and write a little bit thanks to her."

"Can we please change the subject?" Hakuno asked quickly. It was weird, having her friends praise her like this.

Shub giggled. "I have noticed you are never good with compliments." She sighed. "Anyway, I should get back to the kitchens before they worry that the King has spotted me."

"Be careful, please Shub."

Hakuno and Shub shared a hug. After a brief moment, Enkidu joined them, wrapping them both in their embrace.

"Who is upset right now?" asked Enkidu when they separated.

Shub gave Hakuno a funny look.

"People also hug when they had not seen each other in a long time," Hakuno said quickly. "I am still teaching them about the world," she explained to Shub.

"I can see that." Shub focused on Hakuno and seemed to be searching for something.

"What is it?"