XXXIV | Guilty

EPILOGUE | SQUARE-ONE

______

THEY SAY WHEN YOU DIE, it is believed your brain registers the last seven minutes of brain activity until your organs completely collapse. And in those seven minutes you experience your entire life over, in a kind of dream. Because in a dream time is stretched.

In those last seven minutes Genevieve replayed all her mistakes and wrong-doings—all the traumas she suffered and she watched herself drowning in her own misery.

Some people also say, the last person you think about when closing your eyes is either the cause of your sorrows or happiness.

For those last few seconds, Genevieve replayed her memories with Elias; from their tiny five year old bodies playing in the sand in Sicily—to watching as he professed his intimate love for her various times.

All of them constantly flashing through her eyes, as if a broken record, her conscience blossoming in guilt.

Guilt, that maybe she would have subsided. For she carried it everyday. What would have happened if things were different? If Isabelle didn't sacrifice to save the brunette, or if Elias had given up on their love.

Yet, you see, guilt, we all carry it; either for stealing a cookie your mother scolded you about, or because you stole your older sisters' favorite t-shirt. Although we have those tiny crystal memories, we all keep them in remembrance.

So, for the last second before Genevieve closed her eyes for the last time. Her beautiful periwinkle orbs hit the rays of the bright sun, the only thing on her mind being Elias.

She didn't just care for him, or like him, she loved him. Forever. And she knew that if she parted the world then she'd destroy even more lives than she did alive.

Don't worry though, Genevieve survived.

All assholes do.

- - - - - -

TWENTY-FIVE YEARS LATER

"Romeo?"

Evangeline rapped her knuckles against the door, her breath heavy as sweat softly covered her forehead. The large, black leather clothes felt awfully heavy on her body as an aching sensation traveled through her legs.

"Come in."

Following suit, Evangeline turned the modern looking knob, pushing the door open, Evangeline stepped inside the room, the harsh light temporarily blinding her. She blinked a couple of times, taking a quick once over across the room.

It was a large office; modernly stacked bookshelves covered a wall as mounds of books, all chronically ordered (props towards Draco) hauled the shelving units. In the middle stood a large glass desk, a large rectangular skylight right above it. Surrounding the desk, stood a wide variety of seating chairs—from black leather love seats, to a complete cushion set. Across the room, intricately detailed with large marble rocks stood a large fireplace, a dim fire crackling.

Evangeline quickly caught sight of Romeo walking towards her, a mischievous smirk tilted on his lips. Like her, his body was cover in monochromatic clothing with a large black trench coat shrugged on his shoulders with heavy combat boots on his feet.