14

Nava ran right into Ashin and Rodin who were guarding the doors. They looked surprised to see her until they realized what she had done.

"Lucia, go back," Ashin ordered her but she ignored him too.

She started to walk faster when the servant's voices got louder.

"Lucia!" Ashin forcefully grabbed her shoulder, making her turn towards him.

"Ashin, calm down," Rodin grabbed onto Ashin's shoulders and moved him away from her. Ashin took a deep breath while Rodin gave Nava a disappointed look.

"You have to go back, Lucia. I thought you were finally being smart for once and you pull this crap," Rodin muttered the last part but was loud enough for her to hear.

"Come." Ashin grabbed onto her arm and began to pull her back.

Before she can take a step forward she snatched her hand away forcefully. "Why should I go back there?"

"Lucia..."

"No! Why Ashin? Because I get to 'become' one of you? I can't believe it took me actually putting on the ring to finally realize how stupid this whole thing actually is," Nava exclaimed as she desperately tried to catch her breath from the panic that was running rampant inside her.

This was it. If she kept walking there would be nothing left for her in the Bird Kingdom.

Ashin and Rodin both looked down at the ring on Nava's finger and their eyes widened. "Lucia, take that off and give it to us," Ashin ordered carefully.

"What?" Nava asked confused.

"Come on, Lucia. Just listen to Ashin," Rodin urged as he reached for her hand.

Nava gripped the ring tighter and without doing what she was told she ran the opposite direction away from them both.

"Lucia!"

She ran as fast as she could but knew that in no time the other guards would catch up to her. She had to get out of the palace.

When she reached a window she tried opening it but it was locked. Had they planned for this? It was a scary thought but she did not have time to think about all the details of what was happening.

Nava quickly took off her right heel and raised it behind her before forcefully making contact with the window. She used the heel to take away all the remaining glass and climbed over it.

"Lucia, stop!"

She looked to her left where Ashin and Rodin were both standing there in desperation.

"You still have time to go back, please. Do not do this," Ashin pleaded with her.

Nava always thought that she had a sweet spot for Ashin. He was sweet to her when she was in the palace and would always defend her from other guards.

But there were always small things that made it clear she would never truly be 'one of them' no matter how close they were with one another.

Nava could not bring herself to trust a person who agreed with a marriage being forced on her. Without another word, she looked at the two guards one last time before jumping out the window.

Published: April 22, 2021

I split chapter 13 in half. 

Have y'all read A Court of Thorns and Roses, by Sarah J. Maas? It's such a good book I bought the first 3 books in the series. Highly recommend if y'all are looking for something to read.