16

"Has she woken up?"

"No. She's been asleep all day."

"It has been two weeks. She has not moved nor eaten this whole time. It is like she is a corpse."

"Or a Goddess," a voice that sounded further away said.

A loud bang rang through the darkness.

"You, shut your trap!"

There was a long silence.

"And, what of the jewel?"

"...We have not been able to remove it."

"Have you ever heard of something like this?"

"Never."

There was a soft knocking sound from not too far away.

"I am here to change the lady's clothes," a young woman's voice announced.

The sound of multiple footsteps faded away as softer ones neared.

Nava had been in and out of it for a long time now. From time to time she would hear noises like footsteps or dripping water. Other times she could hear voices, some have even started to sound familiar to her. 

Every time she gained a little sense, she would always fall back into the darkness that consumed her. She hated it but she knew deep down that she was safe.

She had woken up one night and was able to tilt her head. She saw bandages all over her arm and medical supplies scattered on a nearby table. Nava believed that she was able to submit to the darkness so easily was because she did not feel that she was in any kind of real danger. 

However, this time was different. 

Nava had gained a little more consciousness and her thoughts were clearer than before. She knew that where ever she was she had to leave. She could not risk being found by the Bird Kingdom so soon after her escape. 

Nava heard the other person in the room walk around but she did not move a muscle. She tried her best to take in her surroundings without opening her eyes. She could feel the softness of a mattress underneath her and a soft blanket covering her shoulders and toes.

She was a little surprised by how comfortable everything felt. They had said she had been asleep for two weeks. She did not understand how her body was anything but stiff. 

As the room became quiet she heard rustling sounds and knew that the woman in the room was going to start washing her.

I have to get out, Nava thought. She had no idea where she was but knew that if her brother were to catch word of a strange girl being found he might come after her.

Although Nava had no idea what her older brother would do to her, or if he would even want her back, she still had to be careful.

The moment the woman removed the blanket Nava charged.

She stretched out her hand, grabbing then clenching a slender neck with all her force. In an instant, both women were on the ground with Nava straddling the stranger from above.

She took in the appearance of the person under her. She was a young girl with short blonde hair and hazel eyes. Her features were on the plumpy side, it made her look sweet with innocence.

The girl's expression was all kinds of scared but Nava forced herself to push the guilt away until the girl fell unconscious. Once her body fell limp Nava turned towards the light shining through the room.

There was a small window above the wall. She knew she could easily fit through if it were not for the metal bars that were in the way.

"Ugh..."