02 - about them🩸

A ray of light came across me, waking me up during lunch hour. Students ran along the hallway making their way to the cafeteria. I was half-awake, heavy headed.

"Yah Jieun! Did you not sleep last night? You've been sleeping the whole subject."
SooAh poke my cheek, waking me up. She looked worried.

Wait, I slept? The whole subject?

"....i slept?" SooAh's eyes trembled with my question. She nodded fast not denying the fact.

"I think you're not fully awake Jieun-ah. Anyways, let's go. They're serving pork cutlet today!" SooAh held my hand faster than I even get to reply. I quicken my pace following her while mind still processing the impromptu.

I dont think I slept.

"Hyung, when will we get her?"

"Just wait a little bit. Soon, she'll be ours."

"Dont you think this is burdensome? I mean, we can just kidnap her or stuff."

"Dont worry. She's already ours from the start."

~~~

The woman ran as fast as she can to save her life and the one she carried in her womb.
She knew she made a big mistake to go there that day when all she could see then was people crying for help, fire burning houses to ashes. And the thing she hasn't seen in ages, that creature.

She ran deep into the forest. Not looking back at the village. She ran until all she could see was darkness. She keep running and the moment she did, she stumbled upon a big trunk, laying on the ground with severe pain felt at her womb.

She couldn't run anymore. She's tired. And the moment she tried to get up, that thing was already there.

"Why are you going after me?!" She cried for help. Grabbing his leg while she can.

"You know why. It's your own fault." He spoke, eyes flashing red. Finger pointed at her forehead.

"But you have no rights in my life. I deserved to decide my own..." she cried, begging for life. Not for her, but the child she's carrying.

"Areum, you've been a disgracement for your own kind." He kept talking.

she kept her head down to earth. Reaching the man's hand.

"....spare my child...i beg you.." she held his hand tightly. Another hand was put on her big tummy. Her life. Tears were pouring very hard. That's the least she can do, begging for his will.

There was a long silence despite the sound of nature at night.

"18 years. I'll give you 18 years to raise her. Then you have to come back to us." The man spoke again. This time, with a little grace in his tone.

She was puzzled for a second. "Then how will she live then? I cant leave—"

"Taeyong will take her. As their servant." She was startled at the word 'servant'. She knew what he meant by that. But she had no choice. She want her daughter to live. That's the only thing she want to cherish.