Chapter One: Blood Moon

The sun was setting just beyond the hills while a young boy, whom was about the age of 16 winters, was finishing up a cleaning chore that he was given by his uncle. He stacked the last piece of hay on its new place in the stable, in the back corner. When his uncle bursted through, clearly on a mission to find the boy.

       "Markus, my boy! Are you finished? Your lovely aunt has finished making dinner. It's steak with mashed potatoes!" His uncle clapped the boy's back in a greeting with a smile.

       "Mashed potatoes?! Really? How did she manage to get her hands on some??" The boy, Markus, grinned back at his uncle, quite happy to hear about what was for dinner.

       "Oh you know your aunt! She is very skillful at getting her hands on things when she is determined" His uncle returned the grin, along with a wink.

       "I did not need to hear that" Markus chuckled, knowing that what his uncle said was a joke. Markus was a small and skinny boy even though his aunt and uncle fed him the right sized meals everyday at the same time. His wasn't very fast like the other children in the village or as strong, but he had a gift. He was able to feel others emotions along with hearing slight conversations that weren't actually being said.

     The young Markus thought that he was mentally troubled because of these random unspoken conversations and feelings but it felt almost..... right? As if that was something that he was suppose to know and feel. He shook his head to clear his thoughts and looked at his uncle.

       "Well? Why are we making Aunt Lexa waiting? Let's go!" And with that he took off running back to the house, his uncle hot on his heels and very quickly surpassed him. He just laughed as he knew that he won't ever be able to outrun his uncle but he tried and that's all that mattered to him.

      Once they got inside, Aunt Lexa was already waiting at the dinner table which was set and had all the plates filled with their food. The smell with marvellous, as if it was not real.

       "Dig in, you two, or your food will get cold!" She smiled a beautiful and cheerful smile, the usual smile when she saw the boys playing around and having fun. Aunt Lexa was the sweetheart of the village, always stopping to help someone when they need it.

       "Thank you, Aunt Lexa!" Markus sat down and immediately dug into the delicious food. Aunt Lexa laughing as she saw how hungry he was then laughed harder when Uncle Maxson also dug into his own food with the same energy.

      After dinner was finished, the dishes cleaned and put away, Markus grabbed his sketch book and went outside to his favourite spot, the roof. His aunt and uncle allowed him to be up there as long as he did his chores and helped to put dinner away and clean up. He was the child that took after the kindest family member, following in their footsteps.

      He took out his pencil and laid back, looking up at the night sky as he searched for something new to draw when he suddenly noticed that the sky wasn't black like normal but had a red glow to it. He looked to the moon and saw that it was a blood red colour, the clouds on the horizon a lighter shade of red.

      Something didn't feel right, nothing at all. The air had a slightly pungent smell as if something near by was long but dead. He quickly packed up his things and got off the roof but as soon as he got to the door, a splitting headache pierced his head and he stumbled through the door and lost consciousness, but just before he passed out, he had heard a voice in his mind.

       "The mood runs red. The rivers run dry. An egg awaits for the right time, or it may be past the deadline."

[679 words - Proofread]

A/n
Hello everyone! It appears to me that I have finally started another book. What can it be this time? A prophecy of the ages? Young love? Oh no, no, no, my friends, an adventure awaits, and you must be willing to stay for the journey.
- Snow