8

“Oh, I’m not going anywhere

“Oh, I’m not going anywhere. But you, my dear, are about to embark on a thrilling adventure with our resident, my sweet vampire Bhai!” I felt my heartbeat lowering at her theatrical words.

I can not live in the same house with that man, alone.

Oh Allah, help me escape this, please.

“Safa, there’s no need to fret over your studies. You can pursue college from there,” Mumma reassured, her voice laced with a gentle smile.

“Mumma, I believe staying here for my studies would be more beneficial. And I don’t want to burden him,” I attempted to protest, my words flowing sweetly, though Jerry’s forceful munching on an apple slice threatened to disrupt my composure.

“Safa, don’t worry, okay? Shehryaar might seem harsh now, but he’s not truly rude. I know my son. He’s just frustrated with the sudden bride swap and all. Trust me, you two will make a perfect pair,” Mumma assured, patting my head.

Sure! But for that we have to survive each other which seems near to impossible.

Anyway, this woman was too good to me which was the least I expected when I was giving my answers to the Qazi at the wedding. I had always longed for a kind mother-in-law like her but what good was having a sweet mother-in-law when I had to endure a chaotic relationship with Mr. Rude himself?

I smiled back at her. It baffled me that this family approved of me for Shehryaar. Seriously, did they think I was a suitable match for him? Seriously?! It was sheer luck that he had taken a liking to Zara. Anyway, he had returned to me like a boomerang.

With nothing more to add, I gathered the utensils and set them on the dining table where Papa was seated. I cast a fleeting glance toward the staircase as I sensed someone descending, and oh boy! There he was, clad in a sleek black suit for the office—my favorite color. Admittedly, he did look somewhat decent in black. Fine, maybe a tad handsome.

“Ulalalalala baby…” Jerry sang, her tone teasing, as I looked at her amused.

“Bhabi, you know what, Bhai is all yours. You don’t have to gawk at him like that,” she whispered in my ear.

I only glanced in his direction because he was wearing black… I WAS NOT CHECKING HIM OUT!

Seating, I served myself breakfast. I exchanged a small smile with Papa when he momentarily diverted his attention from the newspaper. He returned the gesture.

As I began eating, I felt a shadow behind me and glanced back to see Shehryar standing there. He might need space to sit, so I shifted my chair slightly and resumed eating. When he didn’t take a seat, I turned to check on him. He stood there, arms folded over his chest. Suppressing the urge to roll my eyes, I calmly continued eating, aware of others’ eyes on me from time to time.

Is there a problem?

Feeling uneasy, I stood up as soon as I finished. Shehryar continued to observe me as I stood.