2

• A U T H O R ‘ S P O V •

“What!?” The groom’s eyes blazed with fury as he glared at Zafar, whose expression reflected a mixture of pity and concern. Behind the groom, his family wore masks of shock and betrayal, their collective gaze bearing down on Zafar like accusing daggers.

Farah, Zara’s mother, felt the weight of the guests’ attention pressing in on her, their murmurs like sharp knives slicing through her already troubled heart. Her daughter had never exhibited behavior that warranted such suspicion of her upbringing, so why now? Where had her daughter vanished to? Anxious thoughts churned within her, consumed by worry for her child’s safety.

“Can we have a moment alone?” Farah carefully chose her words, casting a cautious glance at the groom’s family. Safa observed her trembling aunt, her heart aching for the vulnerable woman under the stern gaze of her jeeju’s father. Though Safa’s instinct urged her to defend her cousin and aunt, she held her tongue, biding her time for the opportune moment. Until then, no accusations were to be made against Zara.

The groom’s family exchanged looks before acquiescing to Farah’s request. With a heavy heart, she motioned for them to follow, leading the way to a private room where they could confront the impending storm in solitude, their remaining shreds of pride on the verge of being torn apart.

As Safa and her family prepared to enter the room, Ahmed, the groom’s father, interjected, “We wish to speak with the girl’s parents alone.”

They stepped back, watching as the door closed shut in their faces. Safa sought solace in her brother’s presence, his expression unreadable as he clutched his phone tightly. Shehryar’s demeanor, resembling that of a man possessed, sent shivers down Safa’s spine. Would he not fight for Zara? Zafar enveloped his sister in a protective embrace, his gaze fixed on a distant point as an unsettling fear gripped his heart.

S A F A ‘ S    P O V •

I found myself directed to Zara’s room as tensions escalated and my parents sought refuge in a private conversation. Meanwhile, Bhai took on the daunting task of managing the unruly guests, whose mere presence felt like vultures circling for prey, eager to tear apart the dignity of Zara’s family.