10

"Wishing you and your loved ones a joyous Eid filled with blessings, happiness, and peace. Eid Mubarak!"

"I did it for Jerry, not for you," I retorted, refusing to soften my stance towards him

"I understand," he said, his tone sincere. "But still, thank you."

I blinked in surprise at his unexpected gratitude, unsure how to respond. Instead, I turned away from him, busying myself with tidying up the room. After a few moments of awkward silence, I felt him step closer to me.

"Safa," he began softly, his voice hesitant, "I know things between us have been... difficult. But I want to make an effort to change that. I want to try to make this marriage work."

His words caught me off guard, and I turned to face him, studying his expression for any sign of insincerity. But all I saw was earnestness in his eyes, a sincerity that surprised me. "I know I haven't been the best husband," he continued, his gaze never leaving mine. "But I want to change that. I want to get to know you, to understand you better. And maybe..." he trailed off, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Maybe what?" I prompted, unable to suppress my curiosity.

"Maybe we can find some common ground," he finished, his words hesitant but hopeful.

I considered his offer for a moment, weighing the possibility of finding common ground with a man I barely knew. Could it really be possible? Could we find a way to bridge the gap between us and build a relationship based on mutual understanding and respect?

"I'll think about it," I finally replied, unwilling to make any promises just yet.

"That's all I ask," he said, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "Thank you, Safa."

With that, he turned and left the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts. I didn't know what actually brought this change him – he was the same man who accused me for putting his sister in danger. Oh Allah, only you know what's going in his mind.

As we made our way towards my family's home, I couldn't contain my excitement at the thought of seeing them after an entire month. The anticipation bubbled within me, filling me with warmth and joy. once we approached a busy intersection, the traffic slowed to a halt, and I peered out the window, watching the hustle and bustle of the city streets. Suddenly, my attention was drawn to a commotion nearby. A little girl, no older than four or five, was crying and tugging at her mother's hand, pleading for an ice cream from a nearby vendor.

All of a sudden, the girl broke free from her mother's grasp and darted towards the road, oblivious to the oncoming traffic. My breath caught in my throat as I watched in horror, frozen in place.

But just as the little girl reached the edge of the road, a stranger appeared out of nowhere, lunging forward to scoop her up into his arms mere seconds before a massive truck barreled past, missing them by inches.