Day 18

The frigid wind howled on January 5th as the sun shined down on Fenton, trying to break the cold. Greyson had taken the morning shift today, and as he leaned against the edge of the counter, he yawned in longing for the warmth of his bed and the familiar softness of his pillow. Despite what Kyle and Emily had told him, December still hadn't shown. The sun rose higher and higher behind the clouds, illuminating a low, misty fog that clung to the streets.

The bell above the doorframe rang it's loud sound as December finally entered. She sighed deeply in relief from the cold and brushed snow off of her hair. She looked toward the counter where Greyson stood with a sleepy smile.

"Oh, thank God," December said. She strode over to the seat that seemed to be reserved for her and excitedly unpacked her supplies. "I expected Teacup to be here."

"Who, Emily?" Greyson replied.

"So that's her name! I always just called her Teacup," December said as she slugged a dark-red peacoat off of her shoulders.

"Why?"

"Because. She's short, and stout. You know, like the song?"

Greyson chuckled and nodded softly, even though she wasn't paying attention. December spun around to face him, tucking her hair behind her ear before smoothing out a small grey skirt and placing her hands on her hips. Her small, fragile nose came to a rounded point that was bright pink from the wind.

"What, no coffee?" She asked. The expression on her face was serious and hard to read.

Greyson flustered and became red in the face. "Were you expecting it?" he replied with hints of panic in his voice. Her misty eyes were condescending and strongly weak.

December hesitated. "No," she eventually said, turning around.

She walked over to the bookshelves and Greyson jogged over to catch up to her. He trailed behind her like a lost puppy, unsure if she knew he was there. She smelt nice that day, as she always did. Different people and places often have a distinct smell, and Greyson found December's very nice, like vanilla and lavender. He debated on whether or not to tell her this, but decided against it.

"So, do you give people code names often?" Greyson asked.

December giggled. "All the time."

"Did I ever have one?"

December had a finger wrapped around her chin in thought as she scanned the shelf for her next read. "No, not really. You're just you," she told him.

Greyson nodded and looked down, unsure if he should be disappointed. Before he realized, December had taken her quiet, dainty steps around the corner of the bookshelf and left him in the dust. He skipped forward with his long legs to catch up to her as she kept walking strongly back to her table. She sat down and flipped to the first page of her book without paying any attention to him. Greyson took this as his cue and traveled back to his post.

He stood the same way as when she entered, back pressed against the countertop and arms crossed over his chest. He watched her silently and the corner of his mouth curled up faintly. Somehow, he was sure that December knew he was watching. And somehow, he didn't mind.

"So," Greyson started, looking down at his watch, "It's nine. How come you showed up so late?"

December scoffed under her breath. "Does it matter?"

"Yeah, to me."

December shifted uncomfortably, turning her face further away from him. Greyson would have said she was blushing, but he didn't want to assume.

"I was watching the sunrise," December muttered.

"Oh, so you're a sunrise person, then?"

She nodded and flipped to an empty page in her notebook.

"It's really beautiful to watch from up on the hill," December told him.

Greyson raised an eyebrow and un-crossed his arms, resting them on the front countertop. "The hill?" he asked.

December gasped softly and raised her voice. "What? How long have you lived here?" she said, looking up at him.

"Uhh... My whole life?" he replied nervously.

"And you've never been to the hill?"

"I still don't know what the hill you're talking about," Greyson replied. He chuckled, and December scoffed.

"Really? That's the best you've got?" December said, shaking her head. She was trying not to laugh, but a small giggle escaped from her grinning lips.

"That's the best joke I've made in a long time." Greyson said, laughing and patting himself on the back.

December sighed and smiled softly. "You've sure got a lot to learn."