Day 10

“So, how’s it going with that girl?” Greyson’s mother asked. She was practically inside the fridge, packing the shelves with the product of her late-night shopping trip. Jenn had always been a procrastinator, and she despised grocery shopping, so her trips to the supermarket usually took place toward the end of the day. Greyson was visiting her at her little house in the suburbs, and had offered to help with the shopping after his shift was over. December still hadn’t shown up today. “What was her name again? October, was it?”

“December.” Greyson corrected, staring into a big paper bag of groceries.

“Oh, yeah. I remembered the name being really pretty.” she said, smiling. She took an apple from a bag, ran it under water, and dried it on her bright orange tshirt. The skin of the fruit made a popping sound as it was pierced by her glowing white teeth. Her elbows rested on the countertop, and she looked at Greyson eagerly, chewing her apple and offering him her full attention. “So,” she started, taking another bite. “How is she?” she asked, smiling.

Greyson shrugged, rubbing his thumbs together. “I don’t know.” he said, standing up from the stool behind the counter. He reached into the bag and pulled out a couple boxes of pasta, which he walked to the cupboard and stacked on the second shelf.

“But you’ve talked to her, haven’t you?” his mother asked, turning to face him.

“Yeah…” he replied, reaching into the paper bag once again. “She hasn’t been coming to the bookstore for the past couple of days, though.” he told her. Jenn nodded and exhaled in understanding, taking another chunk off of the apple. Greyson held five yogurt cartons in his hands, with more lying at the bottom of the bag. “Mom, how are you going to eat all of this food by yourself?” he asked, loading them into the fridge.

She shrugged and bit down onto her apple, throwing the half eaten fruit carcass into the trash. “I’m a growing woman.” she said, grinning. Greyson half laughed, half scoffed at her, throwing the first empty bag into recycling. “What’s she like?” his mom asked. She was always full of questions.

Greyson sighed, wishing his mother wasn’t always so pushy. “Um… she dresses nicely.” he told her, placing cereal boxes in the cupboard.

“Yeah? Like how?” Jenn asked.

“Uh… she kinda looks like she just walked out of a prep school or something.”

Jenn squinted a bit, picturing the girl that she knew her son was in love with. “Sounds interesting.” she said with a smile. She turned to the last bag of groceries and started unloading. “What about her personality? Is she nice?”

Greyson shrugged. “I haven’t talked to her much, so...”

“What’s your first impression, then?” she asked.

Greyson looked down at his hands, remembering the few times he’d spoken with December. “She just seems closed off, I guess. Like she’s in her own world.” he said. His mother giggled, loading vegetables into the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. “What?” he asked, turning to face her.

“I don’t know,” she replied, closing the fridge door. “I just never pegged you as the guy to be into that type.” she said, smiling at him.

“What ‘type’?” he asked, furrowing his eyebrows together.

“You know,” she started, waving an empty bag around. “Mysterious. Unique.”

Greyson stared down at his hands again. “Oh.” he said. He raised an eyebrow at her. “What type do you think I’d go for, then?” he asked.

“Someone more like Isabel, I guess.” she replied.

Greyson’s jaw nearly dropped at the name of his first and only girlfriend. “Isabel? Mom, you know how I feel about Izzy.”

Jenn shrugged. “Yeah… You’d better not lose this one, then.” she said jokingly.

Greyson stared at his feet. I’m afraid I already have.

* * *

December,

Not having you at the bookstore has been kinda lonely. That probably sounds really weird, considering we don’t even talk, but yeah. It just feels weird.

I’m not sure where you’ve been, or why it’s a big deal at all, but I guess I sorta miss you a little bit. But only a little.

I hope you’re okay.

This probably sounds even weirder, but you not being here has sort of made me want to make up for all of this time you’ve been gone. So, I don’t know, we can go get coffee or something, just as friends. Or not as friends, if that’s what you want. Whatever you want.

But yeah, I don’t know when or if I’ll ever see you again, but if I do, I’m going to give this to you. I swear it.

Have a good day, then. -Greyson