Day 7

It was Christmas day, and the low chatter of a few family members filled Greyson’s ears as he sat on his Great Aunt Pat’s old living room couch. The hostess herself sat next to him, with her head leaning against the back of the sofa and her eyes closed. Greyson folded his hands together and took a deep breath in as a wonderfully Christmas-y smell wafted in from the kitchen.

It wasn’t a very big gathering, with around ten family members that had shown up, give or take. Greyson had a fairly big family, despite being an only child; but not many of them lived near him anymore. All that was left was his mother’s immediate family- it took them nearly two hours to drive to Aunt Pat’s place.

He rubbed his face and leaned back, sinking into the soft sofa cushions. The party had become dull, not to mention the fact that Greyson was never up for a party in the first place. He followed his aunt’s lead and let his head fall back against the back of the couch, closing his eyes. His mind drifted to the conversation he had with Michael.

He thought about how little worth his life has had. When he looked back on the past year and a half, he saw nothing but a lonely boy going to work five days a week, struggling to pay rent for a shitty apartment downtown. The thought that his long time best friend was out having the time of his life on all of those nights that he spent at home watching old movies- it hurt him. All of his friends had gone on to be successful; or in Mike’s case- they were at least having a good time. He felt the weight of the lonely nights and the jealous ones crash down on him, and he sighed quietly.

He felt the cushion next to him shift. “Honey, are you alright?” his aunt asked.

Greyson giggled a little. Aunt Pat always knew when something was off. “Yeah, I mean- Things aren’t the best, but I’ll be okay.” he said, smiling at her. She wasn’t impressed, and she looked at him with an expression that looked almost disappointed.

“What’s going on, sweetie?” she asked him. She was always one for pet names. She sat up and scooted closer to him, offering her full attention.

Greyson sighed. “It’s nothing, really.” he started, “I’m just getting a little stir crazy, I guess. Haven’t been out of the house much, besides work.”

“Well that should be an easy fix!” Aunt Pat countered. “Call up some of your buddies and go out!” she said.

“Yeah…” he said, scratching the back of his neck. “There aren’t many around anymore.” 

His aunt nodded in understanding. “It’s time for you to meet some new people, then.” Her face brightened up again. “Maybe a pretty girl, yeah?” She nudged him with her elbow.

Greyson’s mind raced around again and his thoughts got caught on December. He thought of the way her delicate fingers wrapped around the edges of her sweater, and how her hair fell in a soft wave across her face whenever she bent over her notebook. He imagined her sipping whipped cream off of the top of a hazelnut macchiato and her hand scribbling flowy cursive into her leather-bound journal. Butterflies fluttered inside of his stomach at the thought of her. A faint grin spread across his lips.

“See! You’re thinking of someone right now, aren’t you?” Pat said, practically yelling. She pushed him over lightly. 

Greyson’s mother overheard this from across the room. “What are you yelling about?” she asked, smiling.

“Grey’s got a lady friend.” Aunt Pat replied, wiggling her eyebrows. Her rosy cheeks were spread across her face by her smile, and her bright blue eyes glistened. Greyson sighed in embarrassment, hiding his face behind his hands.

“Oh, really?” his mother asked, pulling the oven mitts off of her hands and sitting on the chair beside him. “What’s her name?” 

Greyson mentally cursed at himself. Both women looked at him eagerly, awaiting answers to all of their questions. He exhaled slowly, giving in. “Her name is, uh... December.” he said.

“Oh, what a pretty name!” his aunt exclaimed. His mother nodded in agreement. “So what’s she like?” Pat asked.

Greyson rubbed his face, praying to get out of this conversation. His family’s excitement was a little much, in his opinion. “Well, she’s sorta… pretty.” he answered awkwardly. It came out more like a question than a statement.

“Aww!” they both exclaimed, nearly in unison. Greyson shook his head and rolled his eyes down at his intertwined hands. “Have you kissed her yet?” Aunt Pat asked, quieting her voice down.

“Aunt Patricia!” Greyson’s mother yelled, whacking her with an oven mitt.

Greyson ran his hand up and down his thigh uncomfortably. “I haven’t talked to her, much.” Immediately, the women’s faces fell into disappointed stares.

“Why not?” his aunt asked.

He twisted his hands together. “I, uh…”

“Too nervous?”

He shrugged. The women exchanged glances, and it seemed like another ‘Aww!’ was shared silently between them.

“You should go for it.” Greyson’s mother told him.

“Yeah.” Pat agreed. “Any girl would be lucky to be with a gem like you.” she said, smiling. Greyson rolled his eyes again.

His mother was called back into the kitchen. She stood up from the chair and looked down at him. “You won’t be 19 forever, Grey. Has all of your adventurous teenage spirit wasted away?” She turned her back to him and made her way back to Christmas dinner. “Old man.” she said, slipping the mitts back over her hands.