Chapter Three

After an hour of driving down the empty roads, being chased by the occasional boar monster, and having to take constant detours, Wynn pulled into the driveway of a different house. Cherry's mouth actually fell open. Hina gasped.

The house was huge. It was probably about four stories tall and had huge glass windows. The front yard had a garden and the backyard was a huge meadow framed by a forest. It looked horror movie-esque set against the red sky but remained grand. Wynn snickered, and Lacee was fighting a giggle.

"What?" Hina demanded. But Wynn and Lacee kept quiet, and just got out of the car.

"Drop it, Hina," Cherry muttered. She and Hina got out of the car, following the blondes across the lawn and up the front steps. Dr. Acker had just arrived and caught up with them. Acker walked ahead of the crowd and buzzed a doorbell.

"We're here, Bancroft. Open up," Acker said sternly. The door slid open and everyone made their way inside. Cherry took in her surroundings. It looked like a hotel lobby- a very fancy one. There were potted plants and sleek sofas, even a front desk (although nobody sat there). Hina was staring wide-eyed at everything, and when Wynn and Lacee saw her they burst into laughter all over again.

"Will you two tell me what's so funny?" Hina demanded, angry now. Acker turned around an exasperated look on her face.

"Will you two stop being so rude?"

"Oh, you're going to lecture me about being rude," Wynn raised her eyebrows. Acker ignored her remark and looked at Cherry and Hina.

"I told them about Mr. Bancroft a bit, his mansion and his fortune. They're reacting this way because they find it hysterical that he, in fact, inherited all of this from his deceased relatives, that the probability of him finding any work to do to possibly make enough money for his living situation is basically impossible, and that you two seem so impressed. You'll have to excuse Rowynn- she has a weak sense of humor," Acker explained, sounding exhausted at having to resolve something so childish. Wynn rolled her eyes and Lacee smiled apologetically at Cherry and Hina.

They got into the elevator, and Acker pressed the "4" button. Soft elevator music played in invisible speakers, and the walls of the elevator were mirrors. Cherry checked her reflection- her curly hair was a mess, and she looked like she hadn't slept in days. She attempted to flatten her hair, and then the elevator dinged.

They exited, walking through another lobby and down a hallway. Acker punched a code into a keypad next to a door at the end of the hallway, and it lit up green. The door swung open to reveal a huge room, with rounded, all-glass walls. Cherry was surprised that she hadn't noticed this part of the house from outside- it was humongous. There were cluttered tables, multiple large computer setups, multiple couches and televisions, and a small kitchen in the corner.

Cherry and Hina glanced around, and this time they weren't the only ones mesmerized by the luxury. Acker continued to look eternally unimpressed.

"Where the hell is he...?" she muttered under her breath. Just then, a whirring noise came from the ceiling, and faster than comprehendible, something flashed in front of the group and all of a sudden, someone fell to the floor ungracefully. It was a man, wearing all black, strapped into some sort of harness attached to wires. He wore Ramona Flowers-esque goggles and was coughing his guts out. Total moron, Acker thought to herself.

"Damn!" He exclaimed, clumsily getting to his feet. He spoke with an Australian accent, and he was the same height as Dr. Acker, relatively young-looking. His face was covered in freckles and various scars. He pushed the goggles onto his dark, fluffy hair, looking taken aback by the sudden gathering in his office.