Chapter Six

It snuck up silently, then impaled the man in one swift jerk of its head. He didn't even have time to scream. Blood sprayed everywhere, and his eyes rolled back in his head. The beast attempted to get the man's body off of his tusks, but struggled, resulting in a grotesque show of the man's corpse being dragged against the side of the building. Cherry could only watch, as the monster finally succeeded. The damaged, bloody, and broken man's body fell to the concrete with a thud. The monster took its time ripping the corpse apart, savoring it. Hina felt her lunch coming up and turned to vomit in a bush. Cherry had to look away, with fearful tears in her eyes. Even Acker was wincing. Rodney swallowed and motioned for everyone to get behind the van.

"Acker and I will just go into the store, you guys stay in the van with Wynn and Lacee. They're injured and defenseless right now, and with something like that roaming out and about you guys should stick together," Rodney said in a quiet, shaky voice. Cherry and Hina nodded and climbed back into the van, sliding the door shut behind them.

"What happened?" Wynn asked, sounding nervous for the first time since Cherry met her.

"There's a monster... the biggest one we've seen so far. It tore apart this old guy... it was..." Cherry stumbled. Wynn sighed. The four girls were quiet for a few minutes. Wynn was stroking Lacee's hair, pain in her eyes. Lacee was still barely awake and shaking fiercely. Her bangs were flat on her sweaty forehead and her lips were slightly parted. The wound on her leg was deep. 

"You guys seem really close..." Hina said. Wynn looked up at her and blushed, looking away. 

"Yeah..." Wynn said. Cherry and Hina looked at each other briefly. The girls sat in silence until Acker and Rodney returned. 

The two got in the front seats and Rodney turned to face them and handed over a plastic bag and a heavy-duty first aid kid.

"Wha-" Cherry started. She turned the bag over and candy spilled out. Rodney grinned at them.

"Candy?" Hina said, mouth falling open. She then smiled a genuine smile for the first time in a while. Rodney nodded, still smiling. 

"It was Acker's idea, actuall-" He started. Acker punched him in the shoulder. 

"They- Uh, We... I thought," Rodney said after several looks from Acker. He rolled his eyes. "I thought you guys could use some cheering up," he finished.

"Thank you so much!" Hina said. 

"I didn't know what you liked, so I got a bunch of everything," Rodney said. "I also got sodas, tea, and water bottles," He said, handing back a second back. 

"That's really sweet of you, Acker," Wynn said, tiredly. A smile crept on her face. Acker grimaced. Cherry pulled a Dr. Pepper and a package of Red Vines from the bags. 

"Let's get the hell outta here," Acker said, starting the van and beginning to drive again.

They drove for a little over an hour with little conversation. Wynn patched up herself and Lacee. When they entered Nevada, Lacee began to stir, and she opened her pale green eyes. Wynn gasped. 

"Are you okay?" Lacee said, trying to sit up. Wynn immediately placed a hand on her shoulder.

"What are you talking about?" Wynn snapped. "Are you okay?!" she said angrily. Lacee winced. Rodney then threw a bottle of painkillers into the back. 

"Thanks," Wynn said, popping the bottle open and giving Lacee three.

"It hurts, but I've had worse. Remember when I broke my leg?" Lacee asked, smiling a little. Wynn grimaced.