Chapter Nine

There stood a tall blonde and a short blonde. Cherry filled with immense relief.

"Wynn! Lacee!" She cried out, standing up. Wynn held a gun over her shoulder and wore a rare grin in contrast to her usual annoyed expression.

"Hey kiddo," Wynn said. Lacee ran over to Cherry, embracing her. 

"Cherry! Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine! How did you know where to find me?"

"Well... it's a long story... Acker and Rodney... they found everything out, they know. They've known since we got here. It's hard to explain. But they just told us when we found you gone. They told us about Hunter too. You see, it won't be a few weeks until testing like they planned... they're starting up a portal now, they're going to send Acker or Rodney through 

"We knew they weren't going to let you out... that they were just going to let you die here," Lacee explained in one breath. Cherry inhaled sharply.

"We're going to be caught, obviously. But it'll be fine. Acker and Rodney are going to continue playing dumb, and when they start up the portal we're going to strike. Just follow our lead, alright? If we're lucky, we'll save your dad," Wynn said.

"My dad..." Cherry said. "I don't even know who he is anymore,"

"We know... but he's still your dad..." Lacee said.

"Anyways, we gotta get out of here..."

"Are we just going to leave Hunter?" Cherry said. Wynn glanced in back.

"We'll be way faster without him, and he looks on the verge of death anyway..." Wynn explained. Cherry glared.

"How would you feel if Lacee was in his place?" she hissed. Wynn glared back at her.

"Fine." She spat.

"He's chained up..." Cherry said, glancing at his restraints.

"Do you wonder if it's for a good reason?" Wynn asked, rolling his eyes.

"It's not his fault! Will you just carefully blast the chains off?"

"'Carefully blast the chains off'? Do you hear yourself, Cherry?"

"Uhh, guys, we're running out of time..." Lacee said. Wynn rolled her eyes and walked over toward Hunter.

"Hold still," she said. She put the gun on a lower setting, and pulled the trigger. Hunter yelped as it blasted the chain right off, slightly burning his leg but not too badly.

"Let's go," Wynn said, starting out the door.

Cherry and Lacee helped Hunter to his feet and they made their way down the hallway as fast as they possibly could. Cherry glanced around at the dark stone walls and the complete contrast to the other rooms she had seen. She was starting to realize what a horrible place this was and didn't even want to imagine what else went on here. 

After turning a few corners, the guards finally showed up.

"Stop right there!" one yelled, pointing a gun at them. 

"Hey, it's you!" the other said, shining a flashlight on their faces. He walked forward, keeping his gun on them. 

"If you move we'll shoot," He hissed, hand-cuffing everyone. He then muttered something about lack of security.

The guards led the group up to the control room in silence. Lacee shot a quick wink at Cherry, and Wynn nodded reassurance at her. Cherry tried her best to control her breathing.