10

Present

Madison

The icy air bites at my face, its harsh sting made sharper by the fact that it is surrounded by darkness.

From the freezing temperatures, my hands burrow into my pockets as I wander through an unfamiliar neighborhood.

Christian took me here though I must admit I paid little attention to our journey due to the butterflies churning in my stomach.

Daniel invited Ashley and I, as well as a couple of other friends to his house, to hang out.

I was surprised Christian wasn't there.

Ashley told me they live near each other and his address, so that's what I was looking for.

God, don't let me get kidnapped.

My headphones hang limply from my ears, with one earbud nestled comfortably as the other side idles against my chest.

Fuck it's cold.

Before long, I found myself lost in an opulent neighborhood where the streets were lined with grand houses that exuded a certain charm and cleanliness.

Casually checking my phone, I gloss over the name of the song playing to focus on the message detailing Christian's house number.

2379

I chant the numbers repeatedly, as though committing them to memory might hasten my arrival.

As I squint into the night, I rely heavily on the dimly lit streetlights overhead to guide me toward the looming structures.

Soon, I spot the figure I've been anxiously looking for - the number '2379' engraved onto a piece of brick, barely noticeable amidst the lavish facade of the house.

A very big and pretty house.

*

With hands deep in my pockets, a biting chill sweeping across my body, and music pulsing through my headphones, I found myself making my way to undiscovered but discovered territory.

It was Christian's house that lay at the end of the street; its rugged charm being distinct.

Upon my arrival, a hunched figure huddled against the cold garage wall, its silhouette vaguely familiar. Untamed chestnut hair tumbled onto his forehead and his hand covered a part of his face.

"Christian?" My voice carried along with the bitter winter breeze, seized his attention.

His stormy green eyes snapped to meet mine, clouded with puzzlement as I approached, my long skirt swishing against my ankles, ballet flats crunching against the frosty sidewalk, and a thick, woolen coat to stave off the winter chill.

"Hi." I greeted him, flashing a tentative smile while bridging the gap between us.

"What are you doing here?" He asks, looking up at me like I'm a ghost.

"I can't come see my best friend." My laughter echoed in the frosty air, a cheeky challenge for him.

I settled next to him on the frost-coated cement floor.