5

Madison

My cheekbones rest on the knuckles of my hand.

Ashley was behind the wheel, driving, I have no idea where. With school's echoes still lingering, fatigue crept through every muscle.

Small chatter comes out of her, but I was tuning her out, watching the trees pass by us in seconds.

I zoned back into reality, seeing a sign that was a million feet tall, reading it said 'diner'.

The car stopped in a parking space, and cars were on both sides of us.

I opened the door, careful not to hit the other car that was parked next to me.

We slam both of our doors, as Ashley shares a quick smile, then proceeds to walk to the entrance.

I follow, walking inside and taking in the vintage decorations, admiring all the colors.

It smelled like fried food, causing my stomach to growl immediately.

"Ash!" The distant familiarity of Daniel's voice served as a signal.

Christian sat beside him, causing my chest to flutter unexpectedly at his proximity.

My head turned to the direction the sound was coming from, seeing him.

Then Christian sat next to him.

That strange feeling I get when I'm around him occurs very quickly.

The toasty warm air caused me to feel too warm inside my soft, oversized, light beige, sweater with pretty patterns like the one Rory wears in "Gilmore Girls".

I cross my arms as we take small steps toward the table. They were sitting at a booth for two or maybe one, but either way, I would like it to be none.

The green eyes that sat under his thick, long, lashes look over my way.

Ashley and Daniel exchange hugs and I stand there.

Christian's head turns to look out the big size window with stickers that are stuck on the other side.

I felt he was acting differently. He was so charming the other night. Bipolar asshole.

Why isn't he looking at me anymore?

Is there something on my face?

Why do I care so much?

Nature displayed a downpour of furious intensity.

Seated comfortably in the cozy din of the diner, my fascination grew as I witnessed every droplet spiral down the sheet of glass.

Ashley moved over so I could sit where the window was which unfortunately was across from Christian.

Daniel and Ashley talked but I was busy looking at each droplet of water slowly rolling down.

The waitress walks up to our table with a small notepad and a blue pen in her hand, letting Ashley and Daniel order their food.

Christian doesn't order anything.

"And for you, Miss?" the waitress asks, causing everybody at the table to look at me.

"Nothing for me." I put my hand near my chest, tucking the left, loose, strand of hair on my head behind my ear, letting my small gold hoops shine in the light above us.

"She'll have a chocolate milkshake," Christian says suddenly and the waitress nods, walking away with the menus that had been in our hands.

I looked at him, who was slouching in his seat with his arms crossed, not taking his eyes off the window. I did kind of want a milkshake.